Delta Ray Upgrade: Xtreme Pro 180 Brushed

Direwolf

Draw sould be less with xtreme 180 motors, not more!

The Xtreme 180 pro motors are more efficient than stock and should last longer. I suspect your battery or charger is the problem. Have you tried a new battery or charger? What happens with your old battery?

I swapped my stock motors out for the X180s and they were definitely more powerful but something in the process causes me to have absolutely terrible battery life. I flew the stock DRay on some 1.5 2S Turnigy batteries for like 10-12 mins easy. After the motor conversion the exact same batteries only last about 2 mins. I know the X180s are more powerful and therefore draw more mah out of the batteries but that seems crazy to have an 80% reduction in flight time.

For now the DRay is retired but if someone can help me identify the issues I would love to get her back in the air.

Horty

There is no problem with the charger as I use it to charge all of my other batteries for other planes that have no problems. All 4 of the Delta Ray batteries (2x stock battery & 2x Turnigy 1.5 nano 2S) experienced the same loss in flight time so I can't imagine that something happened to all 4 of the batteries.

For full disclosure I replaced the motors because of a bad crash that destroyed my old motors. The crash may have done something to another component to cause the incredible drop in flight time.

Billchuck

The usual dumb questions: Do you have the motors turning the right way (brushed care about direction)? Do you have the props on the right way? You had a hard crash, is the frame still straight and true? Are the control surfaces aligned properly?

Horty

The motors spin the right way and the props are on correct. The control surfaces are aligned properly. The frame, it is fairly straight. The crash was a bad one and I pieced it back together as best I could. However, a little misalignment in the frame should not lead to an 80% reduction in flight time.

I agree with Capt_Beavis, I think there is something wrong with the control board which is a $79 piece so most likely the Delta Ray is done. It was a great trainer and I would love to have it still in flying condition but at this point it is not worth it to me to purchase a new board as I have moved on to other aircraft.