Saved From The Guillow's Gallows!!

bigdano711

My very first plane was from TowerHobbies around 20 years ago. The fuse was this PVC-like plastic but thin and somewhat flimsy...think plastic Folgers coffee can. High-wing, trainer design with foam wing and molded slots for tail-feathers. My very first flight was actually successful! No steerable nose wheel, just basic trike landing gear. Pointed it into the wind and took off from the ground...in a parking lot....with light poles and parking curbs everywhere. I managed to miss the light poles, several close calls, and actually landed her pretty well. Had no idea about roll-out and put it into one of the many parking curbs I was surrounded by. Popped off the spinner and bent the shaft.

That poor plane was sadly under-powered by a sealed-end brushed motor and gear-box running on a 5 cell Nimh that guys used in glow planes as a Rx pack. I see the micro world has brought back the ESC/Rx/servo brick that I had on that plane....except mine was massive and ran on the old 72 Mhz band. LOL Eventually installed brushless motor, ESC, a decent Rx, separate servos and 3S lipo. Hand launch was spool up and let go, no throwing necessary. I folded that wing and it dropped in the laziest spin and kinda helicoptered in on it's belly. Fuse took absolutely no damage. Put a spar in the wing and it never folded again.

Once, I lost elevator as the clevis came disconnected while trying to perform an outside loop. All it did was porpoise. Since I still had rudder and throttle, I was able to manage it to the ground and actually time the porpoise pretty well into a flare and landed it pretty smooth.

Another time I nosed it in pretty hard. Barely put a couple crinkles in the nose of that fuse. Straightened it out by hand. Sure wish they still sold that plane...the design of the fuse was it's best feature....light but TOUGH.

Then it was on to ARF's, both electric and glow. Was never really interested in building from plans or kits until recently. I had a few Runway Rats for friends back then who were always trying to get me into scratch building or building from plans. Didn't have the time nor bandwidth, but now I do.

I started searching for kits to build based on old data...balsa kits. There is not much out there in the way of balsa kits...so, I started looking at Guillow's RC conversions. Was looking hard at the "Giant" series of planes, which come in at 31.5" wingspan. Not exactly giant. During my searches, FliteTest videos kept coming up. The first few videos I saw it seemed like you guys were just testing out stuff, and I assumed it was stuff that was sent to you. I had no idea you were making these things out of poster board and testing them yourselves.

I have watched many hours of your shenanigans, and I just love it! I am so happy for your success. I love hearing stories about companies that started in a garage. You have re-kindled my love of RC airplanes in a way I had no idea was possible. I have thanked you by purchasing the 300 watt glue gun, Power Pack C and the Simple Cub from the swappable series. I have printed out all 103 pages of the FT Mustang Master Series and will be purchasing a stack of foam board from you soon.

Thank you for doing what you do. I look forward to purchasing more Quick Build kits, Power Packs and printing more plans and building. I'm even looking at plastic Folger's coffee cans in a whole new light!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ahhhnnnnddd tha hook is set!! Welcome to the family mate. Now instead of feeling bad when you crash you can giggle your butt off while picking up the pieces while trying to remember where you left your templates for that particular foam piece.

bigdano711

Fish on, no doubt. "Embrace the crash". lol I love the attitude these guys have towards crashing. I crashed my Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub 1.2m, fixed it and flew it just because I knew I had to in order to get over the crash, but I haven't flown it since....close to a year now. Been keeping the rust off with RF 9.5, but the crash always has a lingering effect on confidence.

Byrdman

Crashing these foam planes just give you opportunity to rob the electronics and build something better. Good luck with that cub, mine never flew well, so I built the Scout and never looked back.

bigdano711

Crashing these foam planes just give you opportunity to rob the electronics and build something better. Good luck with that cub, mine never flew well, so I built the Scout and never looked back.

Once I get my stack of foam, I'm right there with you. Already planning on getting more power packs, too. If they don't already, they should sell those wooden control horns by the 50# and 100#, along with the straws, pushrods, firewalls, lol

Just got back from putting two packs through the Carbon Cub. I do love that plane! I have the battery that came with it, an E-flite 3S 1300 and 2 E-flite 3S 2200's. Those bigger batteries are way heavier and make the sink rate way more dramatic. It was a beautiful, calm day. I hope to get video up, it'll be static unless I can get my wife to film it. I stayed in a left hand pattern so long that when I tried a right turn, a RIGHT TURN, for crying out loud, I got a shot of anxiety and immediately put it back into a left hand turn. I talked myself down, "It's just a right turn, DUDE" and was able to successfully complete a right turn!!!

Byrdman

Once I get my stack of foam, I'm right there with you. Already planning on getting more power packs, too. If they don't already, they should sell those wooden control horns by the 50# and 100#, along with the straws, pushrods, firewalls, lol

Just got back from putting two packs through the Carbon Cub. I do love that plane! I have the battery that came with it, an E-flite 3S 1300 and 2 E-flite 3S 2200's. Those bigger batteries are way heavier and make the sink rate way more dramatic. It was a beautiful, calm day. I hope to get video up, it'll be static unless I can get my wife to film it. I stayed in a left hand pattern so long that when I tried a right turn, a RIGHT TURN, for crying out loud, I got a shot of anxiety and immediately put it back into a left hand turn. I talked myself down, "It's just a right turn, DUDE" and was able to successfully complete a right turn!!!

Get the plastic firewalls and control horns. Once you crash the plane too much/hard, throw them in rubbing alcohol, clean, and reuse.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Fish on, no doubt. "Embrace the crash". lol I love the attitude these guys have towards crashing. I crashed my Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub 1.2m, fixed it and flew it just because I knew I had to in order to get over the crash, but I haven't flown it since....close to a year now. Been keeping the rust off with RF 9.5, but the crash always has a lingering effect on confidence.

I'm on year 7 back to flying and STILL have yet to get a full pack on fixed wing. Granted I don't put as much effort as I should into it. Most of the last 6 years was all quad based flying. Then a year + total depression and not even being able to finish the quad build I started a almost a year and a half ago because of this F.A.A. stupidity. every time I look at it its like a gut punch.

bigdano711

Real Flight really helped me get my confidence back, but nothing beats the real thing. I honestly could fly 10+ minutes on the bigger packs, I just don't have it in me. Been thinking about bringing a chair out, lol

I'm not into quads or drones...I'll have to search this nonsense of which you speak...

Sorry to hear about the depression, unless you were joking. I had a pretty serious bout of it in my early 20's and it ain't no joke. I had the paralyzing kind where just getting out of bed was a monumental effort. I learned later in life that the meds they were prescribing me were doing more harm than good. Go figure.

Byrdman

I just saw those, very nice. How is down and right thrust applied? Washers? Built-in?

You can put washers on the motor mount if needed. Some designs that really need them have the angles built in on the powerpods. IME, the smaller the plane, as long as you use the recommended power setup, them more you need thrust angles. On the simple series, most planes don't need any that I have built. Also IME, the planes with bigger wingspans and/or wider wing chord will needs less or no thrust angles.