Schoolgirl biplane DT foam board maiden flight

TooJung2Die

Master member
Schoolgirl #2

When I moved across the country I saved only the electronics from all my airplanes. The rest went into the trash. :( The good news is I get to build more airplanes. :D It's been over a year so time to build Schoolgirl #2.

Using what I learned from the first Schoolgirl I built this one stronger with doublers in the nose and bulkheads fore and aft of the top wing. I used 15 gram metal gear servos because I'm getting tired of plastic servo gears failing. I increased the size of the rudder by about 50%. All that means heavier so I used what I thought to be a ridiculously large motor, a 2212-2200K with a 30A ESC and a 8x6 gemfan prop. I thought it would end up nose heavy with the big motor, ESC and a 1300 mAh 2s Lipo up front but it balances perfectly without ballast. Ready to fly she's a whopping 18.5 oz or 524 grams.

This has turned out to be an even better flying Schoolgirl than the first one. It doesn't seem to fly any different than the lighter version but boy there's thrust when you want it. She's still the good mannered hands-off flyer under half throttle or less but when you push the stick forward she'll climb like crazy and loop with ease. Why not? She was designed to fly with a Cox .049 and heavy primitive radio gear.

I painted this Schoolgirl in exactly the same colors and trim as the balsa wood kit I built as a boy back in the early '70's.

Schoolgirl No 2 a.jpg Schoolgirl No 2 b.jpg Schoolgirl No 2 c.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Jon

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
The nose is double thickness back to the front crease in the fuselage sides. The front bulkhead is at the crease as well. The fuselage is built very much like BobK did with his enlarged version earlier in this thread.

I forgot my ball cap when I went to the park to fly today so I had nothing to clip my phone to. I'll try to remember next time and get some video.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nicely done. Welcome back to active duty here in the forums :applause:

I will also sit patiently and wait to see it fly. It looks good.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Nice revision and rebuild. great flight. I thought for sure that you were hitting the fence full speed at the end.
Yup, that was close. Managed to avoid all obstacles so she's still flying after all this time. I put on bigger tires so now she can take off from grass. How'd you find this old thread from over two years ago? :)

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Schoolgirl vintage biplane maiden flight

This Schoolgirl is the second balsa airplane I built as a boy that I recently converted to DT foam board construction. The balsa wood original was a Top Flite kit designed by Ken Willard in the 1960's. I couldn't afford the radio control back then so the airplane became a ceiling ornament for many years. It's a 3 channel design, rudder, elevator and throttle.

I didn't know if the maiden flight was going to be ten seconds or ten minutes. I almost didn't record it. Thankfully it flies very well. It didn't need any major adjustment to the flight trim after the first flight though I did reduce the elevator throw a bit. I was concerned because the vertical stabilizer and rudder looked too small to me. No problem, it tracks and turns just fine.

It was pretty windy today, breezier conditions than I like for a maiden flight and it handled the wind very well. Landing into the wind resulted in a feather light touch down. I can't wait for a calm day to see how slow she can go. It has a lot of wing area and a thick airfoil.

Now that it has proved to be a good flier it will get some decoration and color. The landing gear is heavy duty and the tires are oversize because of the rocky dirt flying field. I kinda like the look.

View attachment 63538

View attachment 63539

View attachment 63540

View attachment 63541

If the video gets boring jump ahead to 7:30 for a few loops and don't miss the landing.

View attachment 65633

View attachment 65634

Jon
I know this is an old thread, but that was awesome! (y)(y)