Scratch Build 3D Cad Design

mazo_rc

Hello all,

I have been wanting to get into designing my own DTFB planes and making the flat plans to be laser cut. I found a bunch of old tutorials of people using SketchUp and then flattening the design, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience using Solidworks to make a 3D model of a plane and then transfering that into 2D plans. I am pretty experienced with Solidworks and can easily create a solid 3D outline/shell of the plane, but I am getting stuck flattening the 3D model and adding the different types of folds and slots for parts to fit together.

Are there any good tutorials using a 3D software like Solidworks that has more capabilities than Sketchup? If not do any of you use Solidworks and think they could share/outline their workflow for me?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Hello all,

I have been wanting to get into designing my own DTFB planes and making the flat plans to be laser cut. I found a bunch of old tutorials of people using SketchUp and then flattening the design, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience using Solidworks to make a 3D model of a plane and then transfering that into 2D plans. I am pretty experienced with Solidworks and can easily create a solid 3D outline/shell of the plane, but I am getting stuck flattening the 3D model and adding the different types of folds and slots for parts to fit together.

Are there any good tutorials using a 3D software like Solidworks that has more capabilities than Sketchup? If not do any of you use Solidworks and think they could share/outline their workflow for me?
Following in case anything gets presented that applies to Fusion360.