Scratch built Micro for FPV, Bigger or Smaller?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've got a design for a micro twin engine (built to resemble the DeHavilland Comet DH-88) that I've kind of perfected over the last year or so. Probably have more than 15 "concept designs" that i've built and flown at this point and now the question is, "Since i've got the micro bug, and the FPV bug, do i keep going smaller or do i perfect into something I can micro FPV?"

On one hand, I've got an electronics package that I'm confident I can scale down to under 50 grams and run 6 mm motors BUT would that be more fun than perfecting the 70 gram or so airframe I've got (running 8.5mm motors) and build a sub 90 gram FPV plane you could fly in a back yard?

I have kiddos so the idea of showing people they can make an FPV plane for under $100 themselves that is durable enough to have fun with and stable enough to enjoy at home is appealing to me.

I would also enjoy the challenge of getting my current airframe below 50 grams but, as i've learned, in the world of Micro's, that's nothing. The thought of taking the basic electronics package i've been using (can be had for about $35 USD) and going sub 50 gram with is interesting however...

I don't have a video that has my latest airframe but it is simlar to this one:

So the question is, Do I perfect this one and FPV it, or continue my quest for the smallest DH-88 I can manage?

Last edited:

ennobee

I think your second video - the one about the test flights - said it clearly: the first design needed more wing area and still it came out a racer. So for the added weight of the FPV gear, you can easily double the plane's size and use some tricks to cut weight wherever you can... and you wil still have a hot rod, but then one that does not fear a pebble on the landing path. Once you are comfortable flyingn this one, you can always go smaller and make yourself an angry FPV hornet. After all, the good thing about FPV is that you do not need to follow the plane with your bare eyes anymore to see where you are heading. the camera does that for you.

Ps, On a De Havilland Comet, I would serious consider sacrificing the ailerons in favor of a simple retractable landing gear. It does not have to be completely retractable, just able to come out when you want to land. A rubber band and a servo-activated holding pin will do good enough.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Got quite a selection of FPV fliers at this point. One of my smallest is also one of my best/favorite. Its just made from a little foam chuck glider (HiTec Hawkeye) Its not much larger than that Comet and, even with twin engines and FPV gear, it comes in at just over 130 grams...

(skip to about the 3:15 for some footage from the goggles DVR)