Sea Hawk to Hunter

quorneng

Master member
Making use of a generous (and free) supply of 5 mm XPS foam (laminate underlay) I first built a Hawker Sea Hawk (first flight 1947) using 3d printing to make the rather complex bifurcated inlet and exhaust duct.
07May21a.JPG

Then in 1948 came the Hawker P1052 which basically added swept wings to the Sea Hawk fuselage so it seemed logical to build that in the same material and to the same scale.
Complete1.JPG

The only P1052 still exists and has been repainted in standard Navy colours.
The performance of the P1052 rather went beyond the capability of the Sea Hawk fuselage so Hawker redesigned and strengthened the rear fuselage with a straight through exhaust as the P1081 which first flew in 1950. It ultimately included a new fin and a swept tail plane but still using the RR Nene. I just had to build that as well.
Complete2.JPG

Painted in the Hawker prototype very pale green/blue.
By 1951 this line of development resulted in the Hawker Hunter using the axial flow and more powerful RR Avon. So I built the prototype Hunter too but using a more powerful 50 mm EDF rather than previous 55 mm units.
Complete2.JPG

Also painted in the prototype pale green/blue although on the day the camera had other ideas!
So in a period of just 4 years jet fighter development moved from a straight wing that could get just close to 600 mph to the Hunter that could exceed 700 mph and go subsonic in a shallow dive.
I have to admit I have never built four planes so quickly one after the other or even to the same scale and perhaps even more surprising is that apart from the printed ducts they are all built of only 5 mm XPS foam (no wood or carbon) and they all fly (hand launch/belly land) pretty nicely.
The P1081 maiden.
I really need to get out more!;)

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Making use of a generous (and free) supply of 5 mm XPS foam (laminate underlay) I first built a Hawker Sea Hawk (first flight 1947) using 3d printing to make the rather complex bifurcated inlet and exhaust duct.
View attachment 209571
Then in 1948 came the Hawker P1052 which basically added swept wings to the Sea Hawk fuselage so it seemed logical to build that in the same material way to the same scale.
View attachment 209572
The P1052 still exists and has been repainted in standard Navy colours.
The performance of the P1052 rather went beyond the capability of the Sea Hawk fuselage so Hawker redesigned and strengthened the rear fuselage with a straight through exhaust as the P1081 which first flew in 1950. It ultimately included a new fin and a swept tail plane but still using the RR Nene. I just had to build that as well.
View attachment 209573
Painted in the Hawker prototype very pale green/blue.
By 1951 this line of development resulted in the Hawker Hunter using the axial flow and more powerful RR Avon. So I built the prototype Hunter too but using a more powerful 50 mm EDF rather than previous 55 mm units.
View attachment 209574
Also painted in the prototype pale green/blue although on the day the camera had other ideas!
So in a period of just 4 years jet fighter development moved from a straight wing that could get just close to 600 mph to the Hunter that could exceed 700 mph and go subsonic in a shallow dive.
I have to admit I have never built four planes so quickly one after the other or even to the same scale and perhaps even more surprising is that apart from the printed ducts they are all built of only 5 mm XPS foam (no wood or carbon) and they all fly (hand launch/belly land) pretty nicely.
The P1081 maiden.
I really need to get out more!;)
Awesome builds my friend!

quorneng

Master member
I have an admission to make. I build another Hunter!
As a young 11 year old I went with my dad to Farnborough in 1958 and saw 111 squadron "The Black Arrows" loop 22 Hunters, twice!
22Hunters.jpg

A record that still stands. The flew F6 Hunters painted all black.
As I still had enough XPS I just had to build one.
The biggest external difference is the F6 had an extended and drooped outer leading edge, an airbrake literally stuck on the fuselage underside and the infamous "Sabrina" bulges to catch the spent 30 mm cartridge cases.
Complete3.JPG

It weighs the same as the prototype Hunter but it has the advantage of a more powerful and beautifully balanced 11 blade 50 mm EDF.
Not yet flown. I just had to take a picture of all five together!
Hawkers2.JPG

They are all to the same scale.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I have an admission to make. I build another Hunter!
As a young 11 year old I went with my dad to Farnborough in 1958 and saw 111 squadron "The Black Arrows" loop 22 Hunters, twice!
View attachment 216238
A record that still stands. The flew F6 Hunters painted all black.
As I still had enough XPS I just had to build one.
The biggest external difference is the F6 had an extended and drooped outer leading edge, an airbrake literally stuck on the fuselage underside and the infamous "Sabrina" bulges to catch the spent 30 mm cartridge cases.
View attachment 216236
It weighs the same as the prototype Hunter but it has the advantage of a more powerful and beautifully balanced 11 blade 50 mm EDF.
Not yet flown. I just had to take a picture of all five together!
View attachment 216237
They are all to the same scale.
Gosh.