SF Prop Question

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
OK so the props that come with the FT power pack is a 10X4.7SF by APC
my local hobby store not have that one

They have a 10X3.8 and like a 10X5 will either of those work or do i just need to order props online?

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Are the ones at the shop also slow fly? They should work but the 10X5 risks overpropping and the 10X38 will just give you a little less power. The 10X5 is just a hair over 10X4.7 though so I would try that out for the closest match.

I did just read your post about your power pack C motor overheating and wonder if you can get something in the 9" range to test out instead. If a 1047 overheats the motor a 1050 will be worse.

Edit: Just realized that that thread was by member TexasPilot71 not you TexasTeacher. But if his motor threatens to overheat I would still be cautious with yours.

Last edited:

PhenomPilot

The 10x3.7 will lower the amps and keep the motor cooler at the cost of a little speed. The 10x5 will probably over heat the motor unless you trim it down a little to make it closer to a 9x5.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Are the ones at the shop also slow fly? They should work but the 10X5 risks overpropping and the 10X38 will just give you a little less power. The 10X5 is just a hair over 10X4.7 though so I would try that out for the closest match.

I did just read your post about your power pack C motor overheating and wonder if you can get something in the 9" range to test out instead. If a 1047 overheats the motor a 1050 will be worse.

I am not having over heating issues

endfim72

Texasteacher,
When did you order your power pack? I just received mine last month. Another member and myself can't swing a 10" prop without quickly overheating.

Last edited:

jamboree1

Is it my imagination or does FT always include the biggest prop the motor can swing? Bigger is not always better, anyways you can easily go down to a 9" prop, choose a 9x4.7 SF prop to go slow and have low speed thrust, or a 9x6 if you want to go faster but loose that low end thrust

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Is it my imagination or does FT always include the biggest prop the motor can swing? Bigger is not always better, anyways you can easily go down to a 9" prop, choose a 9x4.7 SF prop to go slow and have low speed thrust, or a 9x6 if you want to go faster but loose that low end thrust

Not your imagination and bigger isn't always better . . . but underpropping also means your motor is heavier than it needs to be -- you could have gone with a lighter motor for that power, but that means buying another/different motor. Tradeoffs.

That being said, the power draw from a 10x4.7 will be nearly the same as a 9x6 . . . and by "nearly", I mean the 9x6 will draw slightly *more* power.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Texasteacher,
When did you order your power pack? I just received mine last month. Another member and myself can't swing a 10" prop without quickly overheating.

endfim72,

I ordered mine on March 6th, 2015 from altitude hobbies. It would be the B Power pack, but it is not available yet thru FT.

http://bit.ly/1EdVYVm

Last edited:

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
OK all i am officially an idiot, well i was before but this just makes it worse, i failed to read, i assumed it was a 10X4.7 sf prop.

According to the order i placed and the broken props here next to my desk that are 9X4.7 Props.

yeah you know reading, who needs it..... yeah:black_eyed: