Simple Scout CG

BlueEagle

First Post!

I am almost finished with my second FT build, the Simple Scout. The Explorer was the first.

From the notable CG issues with the SS, I selected the iFlight Xing x2814, ZTW 50A ESC and 2200 3s battery. Going for overpowered or broke!!!

The battery is a tight fit and definitely in the way of the landing gear bulkhead. Without the landing gear, it is still a bit tail heavy. The battery may have to be replaced with an 1800 3s.

I have some ideas, but thought I would ask if anyone had any genius ideas on landing gear that would allow the battery pack to slip through?

BlueEagle

Foam board is new for me. I spent most of my free time in middle and high school building and flying nitro powered balsa models. Mostly ARFs. College years saw little free time (and money) working on an engineering degree and I had to put RC aviation aside. Like many, that turned into a wife and kids. Fast forward 20+ years and I am trying to get back in it. I have to say, foam board and electric builds are cheap and fast compared to balsa and nitro.

The FPV advances over the years have fascinated me and I always planned to get back into RC. Mostly watching FPV quad videos. I am now back to my love of aviation and am two builds down now, looking to get my kids involved.

luvmy40

Elite member
If you add a couple BBQ skewers at the bottom of the fuse, you can bend a set of gear with V bend and secure it to the fuse externally with ruber bands. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I get home this evening.

BlueEagle

Thanks Luvmy40. The SS will be a trainer for my 10 year old, so the landing gear will either have to be very durable or very repairable.

I found this <https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3603111> several days ago during my planning. Not sure that I want to get into carbon fiber for this plane. Maybe for a future build.

Tench745

Master member
If you add a couple BBQ skewers at the bottom of the fuse, you can bend a set of gear with V bend and secure it to the fuse externally with ruber bands. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I get home this evening.

Here's an okay picture of the fuselage side of some simple landing gear similar to what luvmy40 describes. Plane is upside down in the picture.
ft-flyer-extended-power-pod-jpg_1489671193.jpg