Ft scout CG

Peted

I just finished building an FT simple scout. It's very nose heavy with a 1300 3s and even more with the landing gear. Should I add weights at the back or move the battery back more. One problem is that if i put in the landing gear, i cant get the battery even nearly far back enough. Any help is appreciated!

Foamforce

Yeah, if it’s nose heavy, you either need less weight in the nose or more in the tail. If you add tail weight, add it as far back as it can go so you can use less.

A nose heavy aircraft can be the result of using a larger than usual motor and battery. What are you using?

Peted

Just the usual money friendly orange motor from amazon. It's a 2212 1000kv with a 30a esc.

Foamforce

Just the usual money friendly orange motor from amazon. It's a 2212 1000kv with a 30a esc.
Oh! I use that on my Scout and it balances fine. What size battery? I run a 1300mah 3s in mine.

Also, have you tried moving both your ESC and receiver as far back as possible?

Peted

Huh, interesting. I put a 1300 3s on mine and the cg is off by a lot. Yeah, my esc is is in the power pod while the reciever is pretty back there.

Foamforce

Huh, interesting. I put a 1300 3s on mine and the cg is off by a lot. Yeah, my esc is is in the power pod while the reciever is pretty back there.

Odd! Maybe the power pod isn’t installed far enough back? Did you use standard DT foam board with paper on?

Also, how much are you talking about? If you move your fingers forward, how far forward do you have to move before it balances?

Peted

Yep, just the regular DTFB, more specifically Adams readiboard. I put a scrap step motor right next to the rudder, and it seems to be a little more balanced, still a little bit nose-heavy but flyable. Still waiting for the snow to melt so I can maiden this thing.

Foamforce

That’s super weird that your COG is so far off.

Did you scratch build? Is it possible that scaled the plans down accidentally when you printed them? If you clicked the “fit to page” setting, that’s what it would do. That would result in a smaller airframe, making the electronics proportionally larger and therefore nose heavy. Measure your wing span and compare.

Peted

Wait, just one more question. I want to fly with a bigger 2200 3s because i have more of those. The CG is about 1 cm off on the nose heavy side. is it stil good to fly?

Tench745

Master member
Wait, just one more question. I want to fly with a bigger 2200 3s because i have more of those. The CG is about 1 cm off on the nose heavy side. is it stil good to fly?
1cm isn't terrible. It will act a little nose heavy, but is probably fine.