Simple Scout experience, thinking about mods for rev2 build

Beavis

Hi all, I've only been in the hobby for a few months, but it is my new thing.

I built a Simple Scout because I was looking for something gentle to keep from crashing so much as I build skill. It has now crashed enough that it will require a new build.

I had to move the aileron servos 1" outboard so that I didn't have to reverse the channel. That worked well, and allowed the same transmitter setup for multiple planes. I use a DXe.

I am thinking about doing a Rev 2 build that will cut the aileron surface down by about 1/3. It will leave the outboard 1/3 aileron surface fixed out to the wingtip, and only control via the inner 2/3 of the aileron.

For this plan, does anyone see any problems with flight dynamics by using the inner 2/3 of the wing trailing edge as an aileron surface? My problem with this plane is that it was WAY too twitchy on the ailerons, even on low rate (70%), and with a 30% expo. When I flew on low rate it was not responsive enough on the elevator/rudder.

2nd question: Concerning expo (new to this), what would a good expo curve look like? I want something that keeps me from overreacting, and getting me into trouble. It seems that my DXe expo only allows relaxed ramp on the bottom and top, and steep in the middle, or reverse that to get quick ramp on the ends with a shallow ramp in the middle.

Edit: I just realized I had -30% expo instead of positive. No wonder it was a twitchy mess. I guess I didn't understand the displayed curve... Here's an attached pic of what it is NOW, post mortem...

Thanks! expo.jpg

Last edited:

Beavis

Well, after much glue, and a 2x rebuild of destroyed power pods, I finally got some highly successful flying time in. I flew 2 1050 mah batteries, and the plane was still flight worthy at the end of a session.

Ailerons are STILL very responsive, and will put the plane upside down in a hurry.

I am flying with 30% expo for all surfaces, on low rate (70% of full deflection). I didn't even try high rate because my goal was to feel out the plane and get it trimmed.

Eldowr

Super Nub
I'll make sure to check my expo before flying the maiden on my new scout! Thanks for the heads up and congratulations on a solid flight!

Beavis

Thanks! I have so much glue up front that I actually needed to add a small 1/4" nut and washer to the tail for CG, even with battery as far rearward as possible. It is still the tiniest touch biased to the nose, but it flew pretty good.

I am also flying with a 9x4.5 prop, which keeps things slowish, but requires significant throttle. I spent most of my time at 3/4 throttle, minimum. I might try a 10" to see if I get a significant difference.

Eldowr

Super Nub
I've got the 1045 slow fly mounted up on mine, but I'll be flying with a 2S 1000mAh to start with. So I think I'll probably be up around 3/4 throttle as well.

I'm interested to see if I have any negative affects from my wing. I have a rinky-dink hot glue gun... The top of the wing isn't glued down flat to the rear of the spar. So the flat on the wing top isn't level with the bottom and my thickness is off.. Oh well!

Haven't built my float kit yet, but if it'll fly off grass with the floats I think i'll stick with them instead of wheels.

jpot1

Elite member
Beavis - I think cutting down your ailerons will work fine. The easier solution is just to cut your rates more. Maybe try 50% until you get it to a comfortable point.

Beavis

Beavis - I think cutting down your ailerons will work fine. The easier solution is just to cut your rates more. Maybe try 50% until you get it to a comfortable point.

I think I might try that, or just man up!;)

Since I am running a DXe, my ability to store a butt-ton of models and configs is limited/cumbersome. I try as much as possible to keep a 1 size fits all setup for all of my planes. But since I am almost exclusively flying the Scout right now, I think I will try that next time out. I will set up maybe 60% for ailerons only on the low rate, and keep the 30% expo on everything.

Eldowr, when I do it over again (I have a new Scout in the box) I will eliminate the float provisions. It weakens the fuselage IMO. My fuse ripped/tore in the float & gear cutouts. Besides... Not much water here in the desert!;) BTW, I am flying with a 3s 1050 battery. I just put a 10x5 prop on it. My son broke the 9x4.5 prop tonight.

Last edited:

Beavis

10" prop is the sweet spot. Flight today was awesome, except for freezing hands this morning. Yes, it gets down to freezing in Arizona. Only had 2 issues: Battery went low, and I got directionally confused during landing. Cartwheeled it, but it still flew, pulling to the left and wobbling a bit. 2nd issue was clipping the top of a tall tree due to distance/eyesight. It fell to the ground nose first, and mostly destroyed yet another powerpod reconstruction. Flight time was over. The first 6 inches of this plane's nose is mostly glue, with a little bit of foamboard. I had to add a touch more weight at the end of the tail to get balance back after repair!

I am getting used to the rates now. I think I am ok with my rate for the ailerons on low setting, but my rudder and elevator are weak in comparison. I might need to make some more tweaks to the config. This is getting fun.:D

Gave it a quick black and white camo mist. Didn't turn out too bad IMO. Here's a pic of the reconstructive surgery on the nose that would've made Michael Jackson envious. 20171226_171127.jpg 20171226_171206.jpg

Last edited: