Help! Simple Scout Surgery

M

MCNC

What approach can I or should I take here. Any chance? New nose area built, about to make a square cut through the damage to reattach new.

Attachments

• 20190810_093132.jpg
    20190810_093132.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What approach can I or should I take here. Any chance? New nose area built, about to make a square cut through the damage to reattach new.
You have a lot to work with there, nothing that a bit of glue and some doublers spanning both sides to strengthen it up. Probably will be stronger then it was before. Also depends on how much you want to cut off and rebuild, and how you want it to look when you are done. They never look the same after a crash but still fly well.

How did this happen?

M

MCNC

This is my first Rc plane, built from downloaded plans. I have not flown it for more than 30 seconds, so the damage was from a culmination of many crashes the last a chain link fence that also destroyed the prop. May have gotten away with a butt joint, but not sure all the torque that may be applied. This is my approach, thanks for the comments. It will be a while before I fly her, I am working with a simulator now to get used to the controls.

Attachments

• 20190810_200026.jpg
    20190810_200026.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh boy, appears the new nose was built to closer specs than the orig
The surgery is part of flyin my friend. Helps to anticipate weak points in your next build to make modifications. You would think I like crashing just to be able to build more planes lol

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That's the essential beauty of the planes that we fly. If the damage is localized, you can literally just cut it off and glue in a new piece. If the damage is more general we can usually shore it up in ugly ways, and the plane will still fly. If the plane is completely ruined we can just build another.

Have you posted video of your flights? We maybe could help figure out why they're so short. I'm a true believer in simulator time for new pilots. I think it's invaluable to getting your thumbs moving the way they should, so you can concentrate on flying.

M

MCNC

I think I have a problem, the nose seems very strong but not in alignment. It may be time to build another Scout.

Attachments

• 20190812_214703.jpg
    20190812_214703.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I think I have a problem, the nose seems very strong but not in alignment. It may be time to build another. .
Nah, don't stress it. Some parts need to be square for a plane to fly right. That doesn't mean it won't fly. Throw a motor on it and launch it into the air. Really, what's the worse outcome? You've got to build another. Maybe you don't. You'll gain some good flight experience regardless of the outcome. :)

Hoomi

Master member
Out of curiosity, are you running full rates on your controls? I fly my Scout at 50% rates on the control surfaces, with 30% expo, and she's still more than responsive enough. She'll flip a tight loop and roll over faster than a pandering politician, but with the lower rates and expo, is much less twitchy at minor stick movement. My first few flights with the Scout, I had a bad problem with left roll on take-off from the motor torque. Reducing my take-off throttle to about half solved that, and she still lifts off just fine.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey guys maybe he is like me and is a bit of a perfectionist and loves the building side. He wants to build let him build lol! I have an excuse to build again now too:
20190812_213542.jpg

10 seconds of maiden glory... not a click of trim on hand launch, no left pull, super straight and steady climb. Banked right into a nice slow turn, tried to straighten out with no left correction. Gave it a little more throttle to get the airspeed up and switched to hi rates to expose more control surface and still no left. Cut throttle, nose dive, and cartwheel... the price of sweet flight. LOVE THIS HOBBY

Fly the one u got, build a new one, doesn't matter. Flight time makes you better, not the plane. Just have fun doin it and all is good. Over and out...

M

MCNC

Far from a perfectionist, guess looking for an excuse to replace this sad plane. but built a pod today, will send her up.

I have almost no experience with haND controls, not a gamer, so continue spending time with a simulator should help.

M

MCNC

Out of curiosity, are you running full rates on your controls? I fly my Scout at 50% rates on the control surfaces, with 30% expo, and she's still more than responsive enough. She'll flip a tight loop and roll over faster than a pandering politician, but with the lower rates and expo, is much less twitchy at minor stick movement. My first few flights with the Scout, I had a bad problem with left roll on take-off from the motor torque. Reducing my take-off throttle to about half solved that, and she still lifts off just fine.

I think mine is set to 50 % on both. Thanks, I will verify.