Slingsby/Kirby Cadet T31

MikeSimms

Many Many years ago I flew solo with the Air Cadet in the UK in a T31 Cadet, reg XA310
When digging through some old stuff I found my ATC log book with my flight records and saw XA310 registered. A quick check on the internet I found that it has been preserved and still flying, Also found a .pdf file for a paper model of the very same aircraft by Ladndad Models designed by Jim and Keith Fainges, which I purchased a copy from them.
1596405728841.png

After watching several Flite test videos and building a couple swapables, one being the SE5a I decided to have a crack at the T31 Cadet.

I first printed the .pdf out at 500% zoom and printed as poster giving 36 pages of A4. giving approx 53.5 inch span and 25" long (136cmx64cm)
This I then transferred on to the foam board.
had a couple cracks at getting the wings right, so wasted some board there.
For the fuz, instead of A or B fold I used a double 45deg cut.
Found that even with very careful cutting round the template things were not quite correct, the errors in blowing up the .pdf by 500% compounded the errors.
Anyway below are the results so far.
The hardest bit is going to be mounting the wings on the pylon

Will update as the build progresses.
Mike Simms
1596406164589.png
1596406201351.png
1596406232879.png
1596406266675.png

Attachments

• XA310-best picture.jpg
    XA310-best picture.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
I've been looking at photos of old gliders for a while thinking about doing something just like this! There's a slope soaring hill about half an hour from where I live and I'm tempted to give it a go. I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines - good luck!
And if you've got time to kill, check out the "vintage" pages on scalesoaring.co.uk...

MikeSimms

I've been looking at photos of old gliders for a while thinking about doing something just like this! There's a slope soaring hill about half an hour from where I live and I'm tempted to give it a go. I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines - good luck!
And if you've got time to kill, check out the "vintage" pages on scalesoaring.co.uk...

Due to the limitations of using foamboard, it will be a semi scale model, but as close as I can get. I do have plans for a balsa wood model from RCME from years ago as well that can be made much more scale.
I am going to finis the build and before bolting on wings etc see how well spraying the foam board with silver paint works, also practices drawing roundels with a compass....on foam board...didn't work

MikeSimms

Coming on, the mounting of the wing was a real pain but got there in the end.
Will use full size servos mounted as far forward as possible so won't need so much weight to get CoG correct.
The Tail plane and fin look rather small, but will see how it fly's first.
Now to fit the turtle deck and a removable cockpit tray, fit the rudder and elevator controls.
The wing has a weak spot where the aileron starts so had to reinforce on the underside with kebab sticks and hot melt spread out over the top surface. The wing looks 'droopy' in the pictures but is totally straight.
I will be spraying it silver after a couple of test glides and add the other details.
The wheel and skid will also be a bit challenging with foam board.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_102708.jpg
    IMG_20200904_102708.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200904_102713.jpg
    IMG_20200904_102713.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
Due to the limitations of using foamboard, it will be a semi scale model, but as close as I can get. I do have plans for a balsa wood model from RCME from years ago as well that can be made much more scale.
I am going to finis the build and before bolting on wings etc see how well spraying the foam board with silver paint works, also practices drawing roundels with a compass....on foam board...didn't work
I've found that drawing graphics up in Inkscape, and then printing them out works well. I can stick them on with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Way easier than trying to run a compass on the FB. :)