Some specific comparative questions about the Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro

Sharpe

Hi everyone,
I want to get a camera drone and it's down to either the Mavic, the Phantom 4 Pro, or waiting for Mavic 2/Phantom 5 (which may be a waste of time as they may still not be what I *think/assume* I need).

The questions:
Assuming I take the plunge rather than waiting for whatever DJI may release next and go for a Mavic Pro or a P4P, can anyone that has experience or good practical knowledge of both drones comment on how they compare on the following points?

1) Quality of still images - is the better camera on the P4P going to make a big difference vs the Mavic for stills, so much so that it's worth loosing the portability of the Mavic?

2) The quality of (still) image taken/lifted/cut from a 4k recording? (Noob here - I assume this is possible?)

3) Quality/stability of the FPV connection and overall connection/signal in terms of drop outs etc (I have heard Mavic is much better than P4P)?

4) Quality of the GPS signal and strength of antenna?

5) The importance of the 100Mbps bit rate on the P4P vs the Mavic's 60Mbps (Noob here - if I am mostly in it for still image capture does it even really matter that much even if there is an important and noticeable difference)?

Many thanks,

- Sharpe

PS: In case it helps frame any answers, below is some context about my requirements and me to help frame any answers (if needed, if not just ignore;) ).

What I want to do with it:
Mostly: Take stills (panoramas).
Secondly: Just to fly around and explore.

Where:
- Not abroad/on aircraft.
- Most of my flying will be done from a car/house with little or no walking requited.
- Some of my flying will be done from remote locations where I expect to take the drone in a backpack with me and walk for a few hours with it.
- I may occasionally want to just take the drone out and about with me on day to day trips out.

About me:
- Not a pro photographer but understand the basics of shot composition & exposure etc (hoping to learn more with the drone).
- I don't (currently) own (or even know how to use) post processing software for my DSLR (although i would be looking to get into this for the drone footage/stills).
- I am very keen to get as much collision avoidance systems wherever possible. Although I will naturally be trying to fly above and/or away from collison risks to keep my drone safe and due to the types of photos I will want.
- Cost isnt a major factor to me, but I can't afford (be allowed by wife) to, say, get a Mavic now and replace it in 2-3 years with the latest/better kit.

Last edited:

liamnave

flyboy
I have friends who have both, and from what I can tell I would get the mavic, according to my friend its a better value. I can check with him and see what he likes more or less about them tomorrow.

Sharpe

Hey liamnave,
Thanks for the post - looking forward to your follow up.

In the mean time are there any other users out there that can offer a view?

- Sharpe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most people agree with Liamnave as far as I can tell. The mavic is the better over all drone. Another thing to take into consideration is DJI updating and where they are going with that whole we own the rights to everything you shoot thing.

Watch from 4:55 mark to get an idea..

Sharpe

Hi PsyBorg thanks for your comments too :)

Does anyone from the P4P side of the fence have anything to say in defence of the P4P? Surely 4k @ 60 fps, 10mbps bit rate, larger sensor and 10mp stills have to be worth some favourable remarks? Surely someone flies the P4P in favour of the Mavic?

Or is the point here that the extra benefits on the P4Ps camera system are just not worth the extra $500 in addition to the loss of portability and discretion that comes with the Mavic and that in honesty you can live with the slight loss in camera performance?

- Sharpe

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I don't own either, but if I were going to buy it one it would be the Mavic. When I used to be big into photography I learned one simple but important lesson... only the camera that is with you is the one that matters. For example, an iPhone is better than the best DSLR if the DSLR is at home. Ultimately, better gear doesn't matter if it's sitting at home or in a car trunk or the batteries are dead when "the moment" happens. The size and ease of taking around the Mavic is the most valuable asset it offers, IMHO. It discretely slips into any bag with the remote and a few charged batteries and should always be available when you need the shot.

Now, if you're a professional commercial photographer that gets to plan the timing of every shoot and need that extra sliver of quality and wind resistance (weight), the P4P may be right for you.

As someone that would only be uploading to YouTube (and being subject to their compression algorithms), the portability of the Mavic is what excites me.

Sharpe

French,
Thanks for your post. As a hobbiest photographer (DSLR) the point you make ("only the camera that is with you is the one that matters") is one I fully respect and have often thought about and read while on my quest for a drone. I agree with it in full.

The Mavic is definitely my fall back position as it will 'be perfectly adequate'.

I suppose part of me is drawn by the ability to take better stills with the P4P, the ability to control apperture and the ability to shoot vids in 4k @60fps+HD @120fps. I supose in the back of my mind I have a belief/hope that the P4P 'isn't that much worse to carry and would still in a rucksack - it's just more cumbersome'.

- Sharpe

Last edited: