Attachments

• CE37E53D-04CC-4E06-94FE-B850C69B45D7.jpeg
    CE37E53D-04CC-4E06-94FE-B850C69B45D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 6986DDF5-D023-4997-B261-91E4E46AA3D1.jpeg
    6986DDF5-D023-4997-B261-91E4E46AA3D1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Flew my StaggerWing this week
First flight seemed a bit tail heavy - it kind of squatted towards the tail when I turned.
Landing was a bit hairy
Added some nose weight and it flew much better however the landing was again pretty squirrelly
Seemed like when I slowed and tried to flair it tipped to the side and came in hard

Is it possible that the forward lower wing shadowed the upper wings air?

Any help / hints would be appreciated

Catapultguy

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I haven't had that problem with mine - 1 store bought and 3 built with FB. Maybe still a little tail heavy? Mine likes the CG about 1/2" back of the leading edge of the upper wing.

My original CG was about that 1/2 inch from top wing leading edge-I think
Seems really close the the leading edge of the top wing now
It seemed to fly ok - the landing issue may have been me
I’ll try again when I get get good weather again
Forecast has me shooting for Thursday
4693EE95-312E-4EDD-90B4-C73DE7E991F0.jpeg
EB0FCE03-758F-4CAD-A767-AD32A15B977F.jpeg

L Edge

Master member
One of the best ways to check your CG is go up 3 crash heights, roll inverted and if you have to push the elevator down quite a lot, you need to reposition the battery aft. Object is that you only need a touch of elevator nose down to get it to fly level upside down to get the proper CG. I fly 3D, so that tells me that this is the start of moving the battery back to get my aft CG that I need.

As for the hairy landings, you are not taken account of the ground effects especially with the lower wing so close to the ground. This changes the induced drag which you need to understand. With enough practice, you can learn how to ride in and out of the ground effects so if you need to land further down the strip, you can.

Also suggest you incorporate the use of your rudder in your flight from takeoff to landing. That will calm the plane down in your movements and especially help you when their are cross winds and gusty conditions for landing.

That's why not too many pilots have a bipe.

Thanks
My plan is to fly it to the ground next time (not into the ground) instead of trying to flair into a slower landing

I’ll do some slower flight at altitude to see if I see anything interesting

Don’t have the skill to roll inverted (yet)

Thanks for the coaching