Starting an introductory RC class at my high-school

klasher125

I am interested in starting a class at my high-school for students ages 10-18 to learn the basics of RC model flying and aerial systems. I will be applying for a grant from the local Student Funding Organization to fund the class, so my funding is flexible but limited to under $1,000. If all goes well, I would like to have at least 20 students in the class. I would like for this class to have a positive impact on the community and educate the students about the applications of aerial systems and inspire interests in STEM.

I am looking for the cheapest and easiest setup for a simple RC plane with servos, propulsion, power setup, etc. Does flite test or another retailer sell something like this? Do they offer bulk price-discounts? What is the price per plane?

I have looked at scratch builds vs ready-to-fly builds and have found that in general ready to fly is more expensive than scratch builds.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Indeed sir. Flite Test may offer discounts in bulk, but I cannot be sure. I am nearly sure that in quantities of 42+ you can negotiate a lower price. Generally speaking, a SBK will be around 35$, and the electronics required for most will come out around 60$+reciever (source: altitude hobbies and hobbyking motor+esc+4 servos+a battery or two), but on a lower end you may be able to find prices lower at other retailers.

If I were you, I would start everyone on a SBK (or two), and habe them trace out the plans on DTFB so that they can learn the idea of building and what it should be like, then try it from close to nothing.