Stevens Aeromodel Cap 232

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Ah, then the covering on it makes more sense! I did a two-piece cowl a couple times in the past for 1/4 scale Cubs. After gluing the two pieces together I roughed up the interior along the seam to apply some fiberglass for reinforcement. But that's for gas engines, and probably overkill for what you're doing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
IMG_20191230_161029-1024x768.jpg
Finished striping the wing and horizontal stabilizer next after all. Now on to the fuselage!

OliverW

Legendary member
Yikes! That's not an uncommon RC type event "oh yeah, the canopy just flew off" (seen it myself) but not something expected at full scale!
It is extremely uncommon. It happened to 2 of his planes. He used to own the Giles G-300, but he sold it to a lady at NASA and I believe she didnt pre-flight it and had the hatch fly off and hit her making her unconscious. I guess the extra abuse aerobatic planes go through must have taken its toll. And since it was the prototype and the only one ever built maybe they skimped out on the materials for the canopy.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That red just catches and holds my eye.. I flash back to the 1970s candy apple red lacquers used to paint cars back in the day with the silver metallic flake base. Geroge Baris style FTW

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That red just catches and holds my eye.. I flash back to the 1970s candy apple red lacquers used to paint cars back in the day with the silver metallic flake base. Geroge Baris style FTW

Ohh.... now I've got to do a Big Daddy Roth style plane! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
First time I've covered a cowl.... Looks better the further you back away from it! :LOL:

IMG_20200102_133925-1024x768.jpg

Let's get those stripes going all the way down...
IMG_20200102_165120-1024x768.jpg

had to put a little nose art on there too...
IMG_20200102_165026-1024x768.jpg

Still on the to do list...

Control rods
Pull pull cables
Landing gear
Canopy install
Battery hold downs
Glue down firewall
ESC
Receiver
Programming