Still Photography Drone

SortOfBritish

Hi,

I'm looking to either build or buy a photography drone. I want it to shoot aerial landscape photography, so i'm looking for a high quality image which is making me lean towards a custom built one that can carry a mirrorless camera like a Sony a6300. I'm less concerned about video quality... I'm also not trying to break the bank, so 3k or less. I'd like to be able to travel with this thing to so not a massive one that I can't put in checked baggage.

Thanks!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I have a DJI Phantom Standard. This does not have the best camera, but it's not bad (12MP). However, what I hope to try soon is an autopilot program I bought that will shoot panoramas and I already have stitching software. So, perhaps that will yield some high resolution "stills."

Mike

Hey I didn't know much about the topic. I don't have a ap drone but Ive always been fascinated by the subject. I just can't afford one. Anyway your topic got me curious so I just spent the last hour reading up on some things. I really couldn't find any clear info in regards to DIY route in terms of how to setup a camera so you can operate it while in the air and stuff like that.

With that being said if you go the RTF route Some of the photos this guy in This articleis getting are some amazing photo shots with a DJI phantom. I guess its all about knowing how to use the tools at hand.

I hope this helps give you a idea of what is possible with that. It will also give you plenty of room in your 3k budget

lucmaxim

About image quality recent mirrorless as the Sony Ilce A7R II can give really great images with the 40 mp sensor.
The weight is around 600 grams.

To evaluate the drone/multirotor you'll need to carry it you must consider mainly the flight time you want but also the fact that 6 motors are more reliable compared to 4 motors drones since if an Esc fail the 4 motors is dead while the 6 motors or hexa can land and save your A7R II.

Best performing 6 rotors drone can fly with 1000 grams payload (600 grams for the camera + 400 brushless gimbal and accessories) up to 33 minutes.
AUW is 4000 grams, 10gr/watt efficiency .

Reducing payload will increase flightime .

Such a drone has large props 15" - 16 ", so it is not little , but it can be made foldable to reduce size .

Last edited:

GabYee

With all things considered I would get a DJI Mavic...great features with great camera and has lots of support and info everywhere and you won't need to waste time learning how to build a drone from scratch.