storch that almost flew

crashanburn

Just got my FT Storch built and ready to run. She took off alright but once in the air she was a handful. Something wasnt right, my control surfaces were backwards or I dont even know. She was in the air about 30 seconds and now lies in the top of a 60ft tree. CRAP... I'll have to climb the tree saturday and rescue it ( buddy lending me climbing gear). The wing poped off on impact. Next 2 days are suppose to rain like crazy so not sure how she will hold up. Main concern is the electronics with a full 3s lipo still powerd up.

On way home I was thinking What if i used one of my extra channels for a servo with a cut off switch to kill power to the electronics.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
That's bad. I hope you can save it. The storch is a really good flying plane. Did you at least get the wing or is all of it up the tree?

crashanburn

Its still in the tree. Sad day. Just finished flying my UMX radian and was doing great got home and was all lets go try it.
Bad idea I was trying all I could to get it back to the ground, just didn't happen

crashanburn

So far the wing has been recovered and not in good shape due to the rain. Tomorrow moring i'll be climbing tree to recover fuselage

crashanburn

Plane is out of tree safe. Was a 150' up. Took an hour to climb it an bring it down. Plane sat in rain for 3 days fully powered. Got the lipo to charge back up havent tested the electronics. Plane has to be rebuilt, water destroyed the paper backing

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR CONTROL SURFACES!!

Check both direction and deflection. And after any big event (crash, long-term storage, etc) it probably is a good idea to make sure servos haven't broken loose either. I've had it happen where the servo itself will pull up off of the foam it's mounted to (pulling up the paper or just ripping out foam) and deflection will GREATLY suffer.

Always check your control surfaces....or you'll end up in the top of a 150' tree...

Last edited:

crashanburn

Its a loss. I'm going to rebuild the plane again. I had my ailerons backwards. being my first plane with them i thought i had them correct

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Remember the high-five technique.

Stand behind the plane and move the sticks, each control surface should move toward the corresponding stick movement to 'high five' it.

tjmartin

I have done that a few times. Once I got my plane stuck in a tree behind our local high school. :/ If the kids would have seen that plane it would have been gone. I backed up my truck to the tree so my son could climb up but it was to high and the branches were not very thick to climb out on. I did find some half full gator-aid bottles in my wife's truck. My son and I must have spent an hour and a half trying to lob these bottles 25 feet into the air in hopes to shake it loose. Finally we got the lucky shot and the plane came tumbling down.

Wpee

Tricks
obtaining climbing gear

Just got my FT Storch built and ready to run. She took off alright but once in the air she was a handful. Something wasnt right, my control surfaces were backwards or I dont even know. She was in the air about 30 seconds and now lies in the top of a 60ft tree. CRAP... I'll have to climb the tree saturday and rescue it ( buddy lending me climbing gear). The wing poped off on impact. Next 2 days are suppose to rain like crazy so not sure how she will hold up. Main concern is the electronics with a full 3s lipo still powerd up.

On way home I was thinking What if i used one of my extra channels for a servo with a cut off switch to kill power to the electronics.

:cool: Hey forget the fancy CLIMBING GEAR just go find yourself a "typical 10 year old boy"
When we were 10 there wasn't a tree too tall for us to tackel.