Foam Wonder by SP0NZ

Spitfire76

Glued the motor/firewall back in but realized that as there is no power pod the firewall is not secured with packing tape and recall Josh saying that its not the glue that secures the firewall but the tape. Now I am using this firewall
Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 9.01.55 AM.png
but even with the ridges it still hot glue thats keeping it in.

Reactions: Inq

luvmy40

Elite member
Glued the motor/firewall back in but realized that as there is no power pod the firewall is not secured with packing tape and recall Josh saying that its not the glue that secures the firewall but the tape. Now I am using this firewall
View attachment 232673
I glued a couple strips of foam on the top and bottom of the nose in front of the firewall for added security. Not sure it was necessary

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
View attachment 232673
That's my printed firewall design. The flange with the scallops adds a ton of extra surface area for the hot glue to hold it in place. No tape required. It was designed to not need any. I've never had any issues with them.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
How durable, and easy to fly are the Foam Wonders compared to the Bloody Wonder mk3?
Similar, but not quite the same. Bloody definitely has more roll authority and as a result, a bit more maneuverability. I would have to say that the Wonder is more survivable in combat.

Spitfire76

That's my printed firewall design. The flange with the scallops adds a ton of extra surface area for the hot glue to hold it in place. No tape required. It was designed to not need any. I've never had any issues with them.
I may have simply not used enough glue in the first place and with a rather fast and bouncy landing I believe the prop made contact with the runway and pulled the motor and firewall out.

Similar, but not quite the same. Bloody definitely has more roll authority and as a result, a bit more maneuverability. I would have to say that the Wonder is more survivable in combat.
Thank you for the advise. which one would you recommend for a beginner?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thank you for the advise. which one would you recommend for a beginner?
I think the Foam Wonder will slow down more and be less twitchy than the Bloody Wonder or Bloody Baron. That said, I would not say either is a "beginner" plane.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There's a new Wonder in town...
1671049577063.png

...say hello to the Racer! The Racer design was inspired by a concept mockup by forum member @FlyingTyger. I'm sure most people can guess where the styling inspiration is derived from. One look at Tony's concept and I knew I had to make this design a reality. Free plans dropping later today.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Between the early sunsets and the weather lately, I haven't had a chance to fly the racer yet. But I think the differences, if any, would be very minimal. I am guessing that the added area of undercamber will help offset the little bit of lost wing area.