Stryker inspired 3d printed wing

gtapp

I figured it was about time that I start sharing some of my projects, partly because I think that other people would enjoy reading through my experiences just as much as I enjoy reading about everyone elses and partly because I need some way to start documenting my builds. I suppose also need an extra push to help me actually follow a project through all the way to the end as well.

When I started flying about twelve years ago (I can never remember the exact year) one of the planes that came out and I owned was the park zone f-27 Stryker. I have some fond memories of this plane and the brushed motor coupled with the NiMH batteries that we used back then, talk about underpowered! I decided that I wanted to try to design something with about the same flying characteristics as the Stryker and this project was born. I recently got into 3d printing and decided It would be a good challenge to try to design the plane in CAD and then print it out and try to fly it so the journey began.

I got the design done and started printing the parts. I wanted to see if the plane would even fly before I added more details such as a battery bay, proper motor mount, and built in servo trays so I just printed out a shell of a plane to start and cut in places for the servos and botched together the electronics in the fuse. the goal of this first model was simply to see if it would fly, I knew that if it flew well I would then design in some key features and print out another one. I also knew that most of my first designs fail miserably and I always end up having to build a second airframe but I feel like this is a part of the hobby. I used a cobra 2204 quad copter motor to power it along with a 3 cell battery, two mini servos, spectrum receiver and 20 amp esc. these all fit in the fuse really well and I found that in order for the COG to be where it needs to be I needed to put the battery about right on the COG. I used hot glue to glue the fuse and wings together. I have tried epoxy before but I didn't have good results because of how brittle it is when it cures. the hot glue is applied with a temperature that is much greater than the glass transition temperature of the pla so it seemed to help fuse the pieces together much better even though it was a bit harder to keep neat. the plane has a 60 cm wingspan, so hopefully that will help visualize the actual scale of the aircraft.

wing on the printer.jpg wing taped together.jpg wing mostly built.jpg wing fully built.jpg

Once the bird was built it was time for the maiden. I took it to a small grass field near where I live and attempted to launch the plane without getting my fingers near the propeller. unfortunately this first attempt did not go well as my toss was terrible and the plane ended up upside down heading towards the ground. I managed to right it just before it hit. luckily the only thing to break off was the nose so I taped that back on and I tried again. This time it flew beautifully albeit quite nose heavy. she needed a lot of up elevator to stay in the air but even so I could tell that this was going to be a good design. it was quick and seemed to be fairly well tempered in the air. the maiden flight sadly ended in disaster though, as I had used electrical tape for the hinges in my haste and one of the elevons came off mid flight. this could have been completely avoided if I had the patience to wait until I could get the proper tape, but I really wanted to test it out. in the end I feel like this design is worth further pursuing so I will continue to develop it. there are several changes that I hope to make in the next version.

1. the elavons need to be made a little larger, they didn't quite have enough area to have the control authority that I wanted (also need to be better secured)
2. a battery tray needs to be made in the proper location above the COG.
3. the plane was a little under powered, I have ordered an 850 mah 4 cell battery to remedy this.
4. proper mounting for the servos needs to be made

I hope to have these changes done before I get more filament in to print version 2, and I am going to try to get version 2 in the air by the 4th of July. We will see how this goes because sometimes life does get in the way. sorry for the long post but I hope everyone will enjoy this project just as much as I have!

gtapp

Thanks! I'm hoping version two flies as well as it looks, which will hopefully be better than the first. so far I have gotten the Fuse done and the wings pre-assembled. Im just waiting on the servos to get in to finish assembly and go fly. I have made a battery compartment that will fit a 4 cell 850 mAh battery and I actually did some calculations to make sure that the COG would be right where it needs to be. it looks like it will be way to far back, but trust me, thats where it balances! unless my math is wrong..... which of course is completely possible but I double checked and triple checked. Some other changes I made were to make the motor mount smaller and a little thicker, add a former in the fuse to increase strength, and I added a bit of material between where the wings will join to each other and the fuselage so that the parts come off of the build plate a bit more flat than they normally do. heres a few pics of the progress so far, I'm pretty excited for maiden! just need those servos which should come in tomorrow or Tuesday.

Plane 7.jpg Plane 6.jpg Plane 5.jpg Plane 4.jpg Plane 3.jpg Plane 2.jpg Plane 1.jpg

Guess I should mention I changed the color, figured it would be easier to see in the air, and to find all the pieces when it crashes

gtapp

Thanks all! Just a short update, the servos came in and I was able to finish the plane this afternoon. I will try to maiden it tomorrow morning depending on the weather. It's been windy here in Idaho so It may be a few days before I can get the maiden done. There are a few things that I need to change with the design so there will most likely be a third version ironing out the defects. I'll go more into that at a later date but for now here's a few pictures of the finished plane. Please forgive the use of blue painters tape, I forgot to get packing tape but it will be changed as soon as possible! IMG_20180702_191955.jpg IMG_20180702_192013.jpg IMG_20180702_191921.jpg

kdobson83

I just started to print the first piece to my first 3d plane.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659724
I've printed parts for my arrow and what not but never a whole plane but looking at the design your doing is making me rethink if I want to continue with the one I'm printing or print the Stryker look a like. Let me know how yours flys and I may have to switch... Lol

Oh, and I guess I should ask if the files will be available after you get things fine tuned?

Last edited:

gtapp

I do plan to release the files once it’s all ready, there are quite a few things left to change though, and I still need to get it in the air for more than 20 seconds to make sure the characteristics are good.

Speaking of flying, I did get a maiden in yesterday on the version 2 airframe. The first maiden I found that I did mess up my calculations for the CG. I forgot to add in the prop, prop nut, and servos so it ended up being quite tail heavy. I taped some quarters to the nose to fix it and then I tried again once the wind dies down and she flew! On a 4 cell battery the plane was very fast and it seemed like I had increased the size of the control surfaces enough to get some good control. Unfortunately though this flight wasn't very long and ended like this....
IMG_20180703_205210.jpg

It got too close to the ground coming towards me and I under estimated the speed, so the crash was my own fault. It was quite spectacular however! When a 3d printed plane crashes it explodes. I wish I had gotten a video but I didn't have anyone available to film for me. Luckily the wing pieces made it through without any cracks so they can be re-used and last night I got the version 3 fuse on the printer, so if all goes well I should have another plane back up this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll try to get someone to video the next time I maiden the plane. The version 3 also should fix some of the fitment issues and the COG issue by extending the battery bay further forward. I'll keep you all posted on the progress, hope everyone has a good 4th of July!

gtapp

its been a week or so since my last post. Im still working on this project, however school has taken priority as finals week approaches. I have a lot of projects and presentations due all at the same time, so thats always fun!

I did build another version and flew it at the end of last week. It actually stayed in the air for more than five seconds this time! unfortunately I positioned the battery too far back and it was a little tail heavy. This resulted in a flat spin when I came in for a landing. I have changed the design to include a small dot indicating the exact location that the center of gravity needs to be to fix this problem and I am working on putting together another version. this version I have also increased the elavon control surface a little bit more and I have increased the vertical stabilizer size because I noticed in flight that the plane wobbled from side to side a little bit. Getting close now! hopefully soon I will have a good flying plane.