COPPERHEAD - 1930s style 3D printed plane

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Two years ago, I made the Start UP!, a 3D printable airplane that was originally intendet as a trainer. But in my opinion, it was a failiure. The flight characteristics were not good enough, it was always on the edge of a stall when in a low speed turn and it had the worst stall characteristics of all my designs, which is not a good attribute for a trainer. I made a lot of changes which improved flight characteristics, but it was still flawed deep in its core.
Now I want to replace it, and go in a clompletely different direction:

Introducing - The COPPERHEAD

Everything about this plane is designed to deliver the most enjoyable flying experience possible, as well as beeing easy to print and build - and the files will be available for free!

I spend a huge amount of time crafting the outer shape. The visual appearance of a plane is a very important thing, you are looking at it the entire flight. I wanted to capture the spirit of golden age racers and light sport aircraft, but with smoother lines and a few shapes of various warbirds mixed in.
Just like all my 3D printed printed designs, I also made a display model for this one, which is attached to this post. These small scale models are great to get a feeling for the shapes and I use them to hype myself up for the finished plane.

IMG_20230715_124336[1].jpg

The RC version will have 1.2 meter wingspan, estimated weight will be 900 - 1000 gramms when printed from LW PLA, including a 3S 2200 LiPo.
Over the last 2 years, I perfected my design techniques for the internal structure, it will be retractionless for LW PLA.
The wing and landing gear will be removable and the canopy can be build as a open or closed cockpit. The idea is that that the plane can transform from a beginner friendly light sport aircraft to a warbird, growing with the pilots skill level.

IMG_20230715_124402[1].jpg

This plane is still very early in the design process, so if you have any suggestions or wishes, tell me!
I have a feeling that this is going to be great!

Screenshot 2023-08-13 211034.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-13 211201.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-13 212545.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-13 212659.jpg

Attachments

• Copperhead_Display_Model.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Two years ago, I made the Start UP!, a 3D printable airplane that was originally intendet as a trainer. But in my opinion, it was a failiure. The flight characteristics were not good enough, it was always on the edge of a stall when in a low speed turn and it had the worst stall characteristics of all my designs, which is not a good attribute for a trainer. I made a lot of changes which improved flight characteristics, but it was still flawed deep in its core.

Everything about this plane is designed to deliver the most enjoyable flying experience possible, as well as beeing easy to print and build - and the files will be available for free!

I spend a huge amount of time crafting the outer shape. The visual appearance of a plane is a very important thing, you are looking at it the entire flight. I wanted to capture the spirit of golden age racers and light sport aircraft, but with smoother lines and a few shapes of various warbirds mixed in.
Just like all my 3D printed printed designs, I also made a display model for this one, which is attached to this post. These small scale models are great to get a feeling for the shapes and I use them to hype myself up for the finished plane.

View attachment 239513

The RC version will have 1.2 meter wingspan, estimated weight will be 900 - 1000 gramms when printed from LW PLA, including a 3S 2200 LiPo.
Over the last 2 years, I perfected my design techniques for the internal structure, it will be retractionless for LW PLA.
The wing and landing gear will be removable and the canopy can be build as a open or closed cockpit. The idea is that that the plane can transform from a beginner friendly light sport aircraft to a warbird, growing with the pilots skill level.

View attachment 239515

This plane is still very early in the design process, so if you have any suggestions or wishes, tell me!

View attachment 239517
View attachment 239518
View attachment 239519
View attachment 239520
I was wondering if hte gear will also be 3d rpinted? also as a suggestion, could you make a removable wing? And if possible make it capable of slow flight, many trainers are stable but too fast or if htey go slow htey cant go fast. this design seems like it haas the capability for both.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I was wondering if hte gear will also be 3d rpinted? also as a suggestion, could you make a removable wing? And if possible make it capable of slow flight, many trainers are stable but too fast or if htey go slow htey cant go fast. this design seems like it haas the capability for both.
So the college got in the way, slowing this project down. I have made several test parts, and the landing gear will also be fully 3D printed, as the tests seem very promising. Of course, the wing will be removable, and I have planned something special for that.
The default wing has a clarc Y, as well as a fair bit of washout, so it should be very good at slow flight. I have planned to make a speed wing, maybe even with retracts in the future. Also, a STOL wing with slats and Flaps would be cool, too.

Right now, Im stuck at a very difficult section at the tail. It takes lots of time, but eventually, I guess, Ill figure it out.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
So the college got in the way, slowing this project down. I have made several test parts, and the landing gear will also be fully 3D printed, as the tests seem very promising. Of course, the wing will be removable, and I have planned something special for that.
The default wing has a clarc Y, as well as a fair bit of washout, so it should be very good at slow flight. I have planned to make a speed wing, maybe even with retracts in the future. Also, a STOL wing with slats and Flaps would be cool, too.

Right now, Im stuck at a very difficult section at the tail. It takes lots of time, but eventually, I guess, Ill figure it out.
I am not very good at this but if I can be of help, I would be happy to help. also its stupid but I think this owuld look stunning as a biplane

tomlogan1

Elite member

View attachment 239513

View attachment 239515

View attachment 239517
View attachment 239518
View attachment 239519
View attachment 239520
Your original was NOT a failure I have printed 3 for friends and they fly well. Even made them out of regular PLA not LW and still they were a hit. Thank you! Looking forward to this next one.