Stupid FC question

BayDesigns

Here’s a weird hypothetical question- would it be possible to use a flight controller to manage control surfaces and still use the receiver outputs to control “peripheral” functions? What I’m thinking would work is doing the normal thing and plugging the Sbus pin into the FC, then using the servo pins on the receiver to control a bomb drop or pan-tilt. It’s just a dumb little question that got me thinking.

Last edited:

BayDesigns

you could. you could also just use a servo output on the FC for those extra functions.
Definitely would be the best way to handle it, but trying to think of workarounds for FCs without enough servo outputs.
Or if you have enough channels just use the receiver outputs connected to a servo..
That's what I meant to say, I can see how you got that though. Editing for clarity.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....would it be possible to use a flight controller to manage control surfaces and still use the receiver outputs to control “peripheral” functions? ......Sbus pin into the FC, then using the servo pins on the receiver to control a bomb drop or pan-tilt. ......
Yes it is possible, but only if you Rx is capable of outputting both Sbus and PWM (servo signal) at the same time.
Many Rx's can output both signals but you must chose one or the other, not both at the same time.

BayDesigns

Yes it is possible, but only if you Rx is capable of outputting both Sbus and PWM (servo signal) at the same time.
Many Rx's can output both signals but you must chose one or the other, not both at the same time.
Do you know of any rx's that can do both simultaneously?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Do you know of any rx's that can do both simultaneously?
No, I don’t, I suspect others do.

If you want a recommendation, you need to provide more information. What brand of Tx are you using?
Are you flying a plane or quad? How many PWM channels do you need?

BayDesigns

I’ll be using FrSky gear. For this project, I’d like to be able to output Sbus to an F411-WSE to handle the flying. For the pan/tilt, I’d like to have 3 PWM channels separate from the FC, which can only output 4 channels. If it’s not possible, it’s not the end of the world, but I’d sure like to try. The platform I’ll be using is the Nano Talon EVO.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
it might be better to just get a FC that has enough outputs. To do what your trying to do, would require a receiver that outputs both sbus and servo ports and either has enough ports or can be configured to skip the first x channels before outputting stuff) [first 4 channels have to be used by the FC for AETR and the FC will also need at least 1 - and normally more - other channels for arming/mode setting/etc - but those could be 'high' channels], which means if your receiver just outputs the first x channels and you need 3? for pan/tilt (pan/tilt/???) then you would need at least 7 PWM ports, so probably an 8 port receiver and at least 12 total channels over the air/Sbus.

or just get a FC with the needed ports and an appropriate serial receiver.

Also, at least some FC software has some special functions related to the pan/tilt/??? stuff where it could do stuff related to the flying into the camera.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....For the pan/tilt, I’d like to have 3 PWM channels separate from the FC, ....
Question. Would a 2nd Rx accomplishment what you want. The first using Sbus, channels 1-4 for flight & the second using PWM & channels 5+ for pan & tilt.

If you want head tracking you could even use a 2nd Tx, the first for flight control & the second for head tracking.

dap35

Elite member
I’ll be using FrSky gear. For this project, I’d like to be able to output Sbus to an F411-WSE to handle the flying. For the pan/tilt, I’d like to have 3 PWM channels separate from the FC, which can only output 4 channels. If it’s not possible, it’s not the end of the world, but I’d sure like to try. The platform I’ll be using is the Nano Talon EVO.
I think this should work. I am in the process of switching from Futaba to FrSky and have used the sbus out to connect to my Aura FC while keeping the throttle connection on my RX. Works like a charm.

BayDesigns

it might be better to just get a FC that has enough outputs. To do what your trying to do, would require a receiver that outputs both sbus and servo ports and either has enough ports or can be configured to skip the first x channels before outputting stuff) [first 4 channels have to be used by the FC for AETR and the FC will also need at least 1 - and normally more - other channels for arming/mode setting/etc - but those could be 'high' channels], which means if your receiver just outputs the first x channels and you need 3? for pan/tilt (pan/tilt/???) then you would need at least 7 PWM ports, so probably an 8 port receiver and at least 12 total channels over the air/Sbus.

or just get a FC with the needed ports and an appropriate serial receiver.

Also, at least some FC software has some special functions related to the pan/tilt/??? stuff where it could do stuff related to the flying into the camera.
Seems like the easiest way to go. It’s not even that much more expensive. Thanks to all of you for your help!