Aura 5 FC question

DonziFreak

Hello all,

I recently purchased a LX brand F4F Wildcat from banana hobbies. I do some have some fixed wing experience but am not what I would consider a veteran. I do have a high wing trainer I fly when I can. In regards to the wildcat however, I'd like to add a FC to it and was looking at the aura 5 lite. My question is (and my confusion) about how to set one up with a plane that has retracts, flaps, or both. The transmitter I plan on using is a Radiomaster Zorro 4-in-1. I have not ordered a RX for the plane yet as I'm pretty confused about this stuff.... How would I add this flight controller to my plane and still operate the retracts?

Thanks and sorry in advance for the probably stupid question!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...How would I add this flight controller to my plane and still operate the retracts?...
The Aura 5 has 5 PWM outputs, it may be possible to have flaps OR retracts but not both. To have both you will need more servo outputs (PWM). The Aura uses serial protocol to communicate with the Rx. Many Rx's can communicate with the Aura OR use PWM but only a handful can do both at the same time. If you can find an Rx that communicates in the serial protocol the Aura is expecting & PWM at the same time your are golden. Just hook up the aileron, elevator & rudder to the Aura and the flaps & retracts to the Rx.

I would suggest looking at the Hobby Eagle stabilizer, it will do everything the Aura will do. But is uses PMW to communicate with the Rx, meaning ANY Rx that uses PWM will work. Then hook the control surfaces (aileron, elevator & rudder) to the stabilizer and the flaps & retracts directly to the Rx. Receivers with 7 or more channels are everywhere, which will be enough to add both flaps & retracts.

Last edited:

ColoFlyer

I agree with Merv, you can add either flaps or gear but not both with the Aura 5 Lite. I have Flaps set up on several planes using the Aura 5. Maybe this video will help with some of your questions.

Burnhard

The Aura 5 has 5 PWM outputs, it may be possible to have flaps OR retracts but not both. To have both you will need more servo outputs (PWM). The Aura uses serial protocol to communicate with the Rx. Many Rx's can communicate with the Aura OR use PWM but only a handful can do both at the same time. If you can find an Rx that communicates in the serial protocol the Aura is expecting & PWM at the same time your are golden. Just hook up the aileron, elevator & rudder to the Aura and the flaps & retracts to the Rx.

I would suggest looking at the Hobby Eagle stabilizer, it will do everything the Aura will do. But is uses PMW to communicate with the Rx, meaning ANY Rx that uses PWM will work. Then hook the control surfaces (aileron, elevator & rudder) to the stabilizer and the flaps & retracts directly to the Rx. Receivers with 7 or more channels are everywhere, which will be enough to add both flaps & retracts.
Seems that the Graupner Rx can handle this. I have an Aura 5 in a modded spitfire with retracts and flaps. The Aura just handles the normal control surfaces while flaps and retracts are connected through the RX.