Flight Controller Questions

BayDesigns

I’ve got a few questions about using an FC on fixed-wings. First, not many flight controllers have a lot of outputs for servos and the like. I want to use an FC to have iNav’s RTH and autopilot functions, as well as stability assistance and OSD for FPV, but I don’t know if I can also put bomb drops and the like on the FC. Is it possible to put only flight-critical elements (motor, control surfaces, maybe flaps) on an FC and then somehow run non-essential components like bomb drops, landing gear, etc off of a receiver? Secondly, I know that using ailerons can exacerbate a spin, so how can we make an FC not use ailerons, and either build an input sequence to make an aircraft automatically recover from a spin, or force the FC to not make inputs until after spin recovery? Thanks for your help!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It will depend on your Rx, most either output PWM, necessary for servos OR serial, used by most flight controllers. There are a handful that can output both at the same time.

There are a few flight controllers that have a large number of PWM outputs, this would allow the signal to just pass though channels you want to control.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if you have enough outputs on your FC board, you can have pass through signals on the FC, which will work just fine.

BayDesigns

I’ve seen those. A bit expensive, but the additional functionality is worth it I’m sure. How do you mount your FCs in planes without a mount point? Also, opinions on the F405-WING vs F765-WING?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I’ve seen those. A bit expensive, but the additional functionality is worth it I’m sure. How do you mount your FCs in planes without a mount point? Also, opinions on the F405-WING vs F765-WING?

double stick tape is how I have both of mine mounted.

for the 405 vs 765 - how many outputs do you need?
the 405 has 2 motor & 7 servo (6 easy to use and one that requires extra special soldering to use) [25g]
the 765 has 12 outputs (looks like 11 easy to use), more uarts/etc... also a much faster MPU [26g]

the 765 looks like a better over all device, so unless your hard pressed on the $ side of things, probably the better choice - at least in most cases.

Bricks

Master member
What are you trying to accomplish with the flight controller simple stabilization or more? There are simple receiver stabilizers like Lemon`s that run DSMX simple set some dip switches plug in servos set a rate and go fly. Tweak rates after a flight or two and done.

BayDesigns

What are you trying to accomplish with the flight controller simple stabilization or more? There are simple receiver stabilizers like Lemon`s that run DSMX simple set some dip switches plug in servos set a rate and go fly. Tweak rates after a flight or two and done.
I’m going for stabilization, for sure, but also autopilot, RTH, and an OSD. I’m planning on putting iNav on the airplane because of the versatility it offers, and also because it’s the software I’m going to use in the future. I want to get used to it and since I’m really rusty I want to have the ability to flip a switch and catch my breath or have the airplane return to loiter overhead if I loose orientation.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There are a few of us playing with iNav and Ardupilot and the matek FCs here on the board. Keep us posted on how you are progressing. Good to see what others are doing!

LB