suggestions for a new project

akimbo

Are there any single engine jets you guys would like to see designed? I am looking for a new challenge and would love to build something that you guys would find interest in. There are many planes that have already been built into rc ones but, I feel that there are at least a few that are yet to be attempted to built out of foam board or at all. Here are some planes I had in mind:
J_35F_1972_%28cropped%2C_removal_of_damage_and_dirt_using_clone_tool%29.jpg
1685572980732.jpeg
1685572653738.jpeg
220px-Douglas_F4D-1_Skyray_in_flight_c1957.jpeg
aircraft-hero-g2-vision-jet.png
me-p-1106.jpg
Screenshot-2020-04-14-at-19.32.12.jpeg

Last edited:

Crazed Scout Pilot

I can't afford EDF's but i'd love to see a mighty mini prop powered sea harrier. FT does not do one. I think it would be super cool.

RossFPV

Are there any single engine jets you guys would like to see designed? I am looking for a new challenge and would love to build something that you guys would find interest in. There are many planes that have already been built into rc ones but, I feel that there are at least a few that are yet to be attempted to built out of foam board or at all. Here are some planes I had in mind:
J_35F_1972_%28cropped%2C_removal_of_damage_and_dirt_using_clone_tool%29.jpg
View attachment 237896 View attachment 237895
220px-Douglas_F4D-1_Skyray_in_flight_c1957.jpeg
aircraft-hero-g2-vision-jet.png
me-p-1106.jpg
Screenshot-2020-04-14-at-19.32.12.jpeg
I like that last one, paint it orange and put a Doritos logo on it 🤣

akimbo

I can't afford EDF's but i'd love to see a mighty mini prop powered sea harrier. FT does not do one. I think it would be super cool.
I have an A motor laying around so i might be able to design a harrier for it. The challenge with the harrier is that the wings have negative dihedral so I am not sure how stable it will be.

mastermalpass

Elite member
The MiG-21 has been on my build list for a while. I decided my first EDF will be a Mirage 2000C though, as the MiG-21 is a pretty unstable airframe.

IMG_0125.jpeg

Probably one naturally wanting to go fast as well and I definitely prefer a low stall speed. But if built light enough, it could be fun as hell. Just a matter of getting some experience in building EDFs first for me, hence the Mirage. The E/A 6B has been growing on me, that’s got a nice stable looking airframe.

IMG_0128.jpeg

Trouble is, I’m not sure where you hide a single EDF in that shape. The real one’s a twin-engine.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I have an A motor laying around so i might be able to design a harrier for it. The challenge with the harrier is that the wings have negative dihedral so I am not sure how stable it will be.
That sounds fantastic. I have an A motor lying around as well. The negative dihedral just make it more fun to try to keep it in the air.:)

JFC24

Not a single engine but I would love to see a Lear 35 so I could paint one up like our special ones.

Crazed Scout Pilot

Super cool!!! I can't wait turn that in to an rc plane. I can just see it flying the ski. What and how did you draw and post the plans?

akimbo

Super cool!!! I can't wait turn that in to an rc plane. I can just see it flying the ski. What and how did you draw and post the plans?
It is easy to make chuck gliders by trading out the cross sections of a plane in illustrator and adding notches in the main part for the wing and tail. This was just a simple design, whereas a prop version would be more detailed.

akimbo

does it work as a more scale chuck glider? also could you send the plans? I am a very big fan of the plane.
here are the scaled plans that can fit a 50 mm edf. since the plans are still in development there are certain parts that will require minimal trimming/sanding such as the back of the intake and the turtledeck. if you plan on mounting an edf in the plane, i suggest creating a battery hatch more towards the middle of the fuselage so that the cg is in the right place. if you manage to have a successful assembly and maiden flight, let me know so that i can further develop the plans and eventually post it as a resource. i am currently not able to build and test it because i don't have any of the materials with me for now.

Attachments

• draken2.pdf
    346.5 KB · Views: 0
  • draken1.pdf
    352.3 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
here are the scaled plans that can fit a 50 mm edf. since the plans are still in development there are certain parts that will require minimal trimming/sanding such as the back of the intake and the turtledeck. if you plan on mounting an edf in the plane, i suggest creating a battery hatch more towards the middle of the fuselage so that the cg is in the right place. if you manage to have a successful assembly and maiden flight, let me know so that i can further develop the plans and eventually post it as a resource. i am currently not able to build and test it because i don't have any of the materials with me for now.
I am going to first build ascaled down version as a chuck glider, and then if it flies nice, will consider adding an edf or power plant

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
@akimbo thanks for the amazing design, at 45% and paper peeled off it is a challenging but interesting build because of the small size and weighs 25g, it flies incredible and even cobras at the end. You should build one yourself. I will try catapult trials sometime in the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

akimbo

I imagined it would be difficult at that scale because some of the parts proprtional to the thickness of the foam (3/16 in) would be scaled down. However, you still managed to put it together at 45% which is pretty impressive. I am glad it works! I imagine the full scale version should be easy to put together but I am not sure if I can make it right now since I am in an area where I can’t buy foam.