Tell me about vinyl

danskis

Master member
I see lots of people using vinyl for stickers and even covering whole planes with it. I've never bought any or used it so I thought a thread on vinyl, its uses and tools would be a good thing. Are there different weights, can you use any old Crikut or are some better than others, what about application methods, youtube videos you like etc.

The Fopster

Master member
Don’t know about cricut - I cut by hand with scissors and sharp knife. I’ve also recently tried printing my own water slide decals - that worked really well and the end result looks great. Needs special paper you can put in an inkjet printer.

L Edge

Master member
At our club, combat was a rage many, many, moons ago. So a club member hotwired the foam wings and bought pvc drain pipe and we provided the balsa to make a flying wing. Allowed to cover the wing in vinyl with adhesive spray as you can see.

It is heavy(had to add a tuned pipe to keep up with others). It takes dings and bangs rather well, and it hasn't see old age yet. Having no movable rudder, if it got into a spin, no luck. The underside was strong and you would have scratches, dings, and bangs, but it would fly again in the next match.

Used the spray and temp controlled iron to handle getting good surface coverage. Didn't have really any sharp or rounded curves, so don't know what would happen over time.
vinal plane.jpg

MrClean

Cricut (pronounced Cricket, I STILL can't get that dang Cricri out of my head when I ask about Cricut stuff),
cricri.jpg

Works fantastic when it comes to cutting individual squares of the same size, or diamonds or any shapes. I came across a video a guy did on making svg files and a free program to do it with. Viewed it on twice speed to get through it and saved it. I don't spend enough time with mine but I do have my AMA and FAA numbers and MrClean stickers on it. I cheat on those using my inkjet to print the image, with the print and cut option of the Cricut and then use the Cricut to make covers out of clear Oracover (really cheap vinyl) to go over the print. Youtube video with the program link in the More section to follow, if I do this right. You can make multilayer vinyl cuttings, plenty of things on youtube about that too.

MrClean

Thanks - that plane looks lethal!! I never have had any luck with flying wing planks.
Flying Wings? I LOVE em.
Flipper2007.jpg

Started with the Gremlin, classic. But so many folks get the cg too far back and that's where the flat spin is. If you're not high up or overpowered, just let the motor run till your just about down then kill it. When the rotation slows, it'll drop the nose, mostly. Depends on that CG. Got power and can git full down opposite spin, it'll pop out. Do that too low and you have a lawn dart. Best to just let it land and go pick it up. They make WONDERFUL snow showers.
Speaking of flat spins, several years later in Newton, IA I was zipping right along with this bad boy when the vertical came off. Somebody trusted Gorilla Glue a little too much. I had enough drag on that drain pipe that I banked away from the field, pulled it around gently and reduced throttle and as the speed bled off, into the spin it went. I just killed the motor. IT hit, broke the wing spar, broke the fuse but everything else was fine. Couldn't find the Vertical. Was gonna keep it. They found it the next spring and I believe it's still tacked to the wall of a model plane hauling trailer. It was probably time for a new setup anyways, that was my original one.

dap35

Elite member
I use Oracal permanent vinyl to cover the plane as opposed to paint. It holds up better and is stronger. I typically buy it at Michaels craft store. I have found that applying it before I fold the foam board in many cases is easier.

MrClean

I've bought mine at Michaels too BUT that stuff is available on Amazon as well. My wife never gets tired of me talking to her overly loud when we walk into Michaels door, get about 20 steps in and I say, Hey, WHAT!!! Well THIS ISN'T HARBOR FREIGHT! YA LIED TO ME AGAIN, WOMAN!
Ya, that's a real knee slapper, just ask her. From a distance. She can't throw more then 20 yards, you'll be safe.