The DLG flying thread

JTarmstr

Elite member
Discus Launched Glider, so termed because you do a 360 degree turn to launch just as you would a discus. Also, best form of soaring ever. :)

Ohh wow. Sounds like fun.... but I must resist, otherwise I am going to get addicted.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Not flying, but worthwhile for anyone who owns a DLG. How to fix leading edge dings:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
My Carbonette 19 got some flight time at HHAEFI a couple weeks ago and put on its usual nice show. Fun stuff!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I bought a used CX5 recently and put together footage of the first flying session. It is far and away the best flying airplane I've ever owned. I had the privilege of building out one of these for Bitogre last year and really enjoyed the stick time I got on it, but since this one is my own, I can explore the envelope more thoroughly. I'm currently getting 2:30 or better in calm evening air. That's really impressive performance for someone like me who doesn't throw particularly well. It has an incredible speed range, too. If you shop around, or better yet, visit a soaring club or an F3K/DLG meet, you can find some really good deals on used DLGs. The Flitz, Stream, NXT, Vortex, Vibe, Snipe, and CX2/3/4/5 are all fantastic airplanes that can be had for under $400 used. Additionally, the newest 1m DLGs are in the $200 range brand new and they fly better than many of the molded

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Latest installment in my DLG flying, or rather, @Craftydan 's DLG flying. He picked this old Encore up for dirt cheap at a recent swap meet and it needed only a few minor repairs to get it back in the air.
We decided this would be a great opportunity to show some of the early trimming procedures in the process of getting one of these planes up and running. Have a look:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Those of you at Flite Fest got to see this plane really put through its paces, but in the meantime, here's a teaser of what I've been working on: