The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

Javiester

Elite member

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Started a new swept wing with a two step air foil. Wing is complete.I found the FT water proof foam a bit warped. I'm not sure whether it was because I let the box stand up for a few days when I should have immediately laid it flat or got the foam out🤔? Or maybe some warpage is normal and I would have received it anyways like that when I opened it either way, what do you guys think? The wing came out pretty much perfectly straight because I faced the top and bottom layers in a way the warps opposed each other before gluing it down. I now have my foam lying flat with duffle bags full of books on top.
I’ve found it pretty much impossible to prevent the warpage of foam board in general. Yes I would reccomend laying it flat, but usually once the damage is done you don’t have many options. Just gotta suck it up and use it sometimes!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Multiple beveling cuts in the same spot right at the edge of your thumbnail from the razor ‘cause you ain’t even smart enough to keep yer’ thumb outta the way !! :cry:
Now I just Zap the cuts with CA glue to keep the blood off the build.
Instant stitches, :) correct me if I am wrong but I think it was originally designed for soldiers out in the field to seal up wounds.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Made some progress on the fuse today, I won't lie i might do more before I hit the sack. Got the hatch somewhat planned out, it will be a little tougher to form the skin over the hatch being a complex curve. Each end is a different size and curve radius so it wont be easy but i got nothing but time View attachment 163999
The tail feathers star at the end of the tail you see so there is another 5-6" to add on to the overall length...
View attachment 164002
The profile is starting to show itself now that the front half of the nose is covered. The bull nose tapered cowl will be one of the last things to go on the fuse View attachment 164000
Looking at it straight on the front at this point the nose looks a little large for the wing, But i think once the rest of the fuse gets built up, has the tail feathers on and skinned it will look more scale. View attachment 164001
Looking good, you might make a MS builder yet :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Started a new swept wing with a two step air foil. Wing is complete.I found the FT water proof foam a bit warped. I'm not sure whether it was because I let the box stand up for a few days when I should have immediately laid it flat or got the foam out🤔? Or maybe some warpage is normal and I would have received it anyways like that when I opened it either way, what do you guys think? The wing came out pretty much perfectly straight because I faced the top and bottom layers in a way the warps opposed each other before gluing it down. I now have my foam lying flat with duffle bags full of books on top.
I haven’t had that issue with my ft foam...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I haven’t had that issue with my ft foam...
The warping isn't extreme and its even along the foam. It could have been the way I let the box stand up for a few days before opening, or it could have already happened in the shipping process. It wasn't cheap but I'm making it work. If a few days under the bags of books doesn't improve it, I can always build more of this (lazy KFM) airfoil with my little hack to make straight wings. Fuses should come out more or less good after doing the folds.

I think some time I'll have to order another 25 sheets and open them immediately and see what they look like. If they are good it was my bad, if they already have some warpage I'll know its probably just unavoidable.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Done some more forming of the skins this morning, this is the under side of the fuse where the wing slots into...
20200331_121405.jpg

I was gonna do this in two separate pieces with the airfoil profile already cut out but i soon came to the realization that this would just create more problems like fit to the wing or to the fuse, and just by trying to form smaller pieces lends itself to causing wrinkles
20200331_121421.jpg

I had to slap in some formers just in behind the third former to help line up the fir of this new section and to help the top and bottom skins form a clean seam
20200331_121436.jpg

The third former will take the back half of the nose up a slight incline to the front of the canopy, yet to be formed as a hatch. I may do something similar where i build the back of the hatch opening at an angle to be able to remove the hatch easily and will be secured with magnets
20200331_121602.jpg

Most of this bottom section will be cut away for the wing to index into. You can also get a good look at the reliefs that are made for the exhaust ports would be on the scale plane, and a decent look at how long the fuse will be. Now to salvage out the servos and install them into the wing and the tail section

CustomRCMods

Elite member
The warping isn't extreme and its even along the foam. It could have been the way I let the box stand up for a few days before opening, or it could have already happened in the shipping process. It wasn't cheap but I'm making it work. If a few days under the bags of books doesn't improve it, I can always build more of this (lazy KFM) airfoil with my little hack to make straight wings. Fuses should come out more or less good after doing the folds.

I think some time I'll have to order another 25 sheets and open them immediately and see what they look like. If they are good it was my bad, if they already have some warpage I'll know its probably just unavoidable.

Ive just accepted the warpage in my DTFB. Its unfortunate, But I have yet to find a way to prevent it.

Madspadder

Started putting the Fokker together. The fuse is 60” long with a wingspan of 77”. I am going to use aluminum screen frame for the 3 wing spars. The screen frame is super strong on edge and light weight. Set the wings on the fuse to show how big this is going to be.
499BC773-9E04-4FC1-8554-3B130DBB804C.jpeg
CE3F32AC-05E3-4C18-A986-8B1E6C258284.jpeg

Figure9

Elite member
I'm repairing my prototype Master Series Sea Fury tonight. After a tree related incident on only third flight (!) I'm doing a very rough fix. I'll fly it for a while, capture any needed modifications then build a clean V2.0. Could be air worthy tomorrow...

Our local RC club flying field has recently been plagued by herds of jumping trees lurking near the runway.