The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got the wing cut into the bottom of the fuse for the Reno Racer
20200331_165136.jpg

There is a cool little trick i might put into the build compilation vid to show how to do this. Also got the servos installed into the wing
20200331_165202.jpg
20200331_165258.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm repairing my prototype Master Series Sea Fury tonight. After a tree related incident on only third flight (!) I'm doing a very rough fix. I'll fly it for a while, capture any needed modifications then build a clean V2.0. Could be air worthy tomorrow...
View attachment 164058 View attachment 164059
That sucks the tree chewed up your hot rod. Is the canopy from the P-47? I will need to build one for mine, looking at options either out of FB, poster board or a moldable plastic

Vimana89

Legendary member
I finished my swept wing plane which I'm going to call the "Hawkmoth" because of the general shape. My electronics are visible and taped on the top side for quickness and easy access to readjust while prototyping. I maidened way too nose heavy, readjusted, then the wind picked up too much to tell, but it shows promise. I'll chop the nose down, set the battery back, eliminate the down thrust(it needs all the punchout it can get and has dip), and generally doctor the plane up and get it ready for a proper re-maiden.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Oh my lordy! FT 2218 Radial had a bearing fail in flight, and I managed to land safely on a plane that can't land safely without power. Upon inspection, all coils were blackened but still working fine. Grease shield had come off, and balls were missing. the motor was very hot.The mount had managed to melt hot glue it wasn't even touching. Maybe it's due to the fact I was running a 9x6 prop on 4S with a throttle limit of 85%... RF9 calculated that to be just under 40 amps. But it seems now we know exactly how much punishment the motor can take. Over 100 Celsius and 15 seconds of a blown bearing, the first 2 of which were at full throttle. Flight overall was 3 minutes and 57 seconds from motor start to stop. Also the nylon in the locknut softened from the heat.

I really love this motor. This is a high performance motor, big time. I looked at my stash of bearings and I have a spare of the right size, but I couldn't get the outer rim of the old one out (that's what all the marks are).
IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2694.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2696.JPG IMG_2697.JPG
By the way, is there someone I can contact for a replacement? Is there warranty? Is this covered?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh my lordy! FT 2218 Radial had a bearing fail in flight, and I managed to land safely on a plane that can't land safely without power. Upon inspection, all coils were blackened but still working fine. Grease shield had come off, and balls were missing. the motor was very hot.The mount had managed to melt hot glue it wasn't even touching. Maybe it's due to the fact I was running a 9x6 prop on 4S with a throttle limit of 85%... RF9 calculated that to be just under 40 amps. But it seems now we know exactly how much punishment the motor can take. Over 100 Celsius and 15 seconds of a blown bearing, the first 2 of which were at full throttle. Flight overall was 3 minutes and 57 seconds from motor start to stop. Also the nylon in the locknut softened from the heat.

I really love this motor. This is a high performance motor, big time. I looked at my stash of bearings and I have a spare of the right size, but I couldn't get the outer rim of the old one out (that's what all the marks are).
View attachment 164100 View attachment 164101 View attachment 164102 View attachment 164103 View attachment 164104
By the way, is there someone I can contact for a replacement? Is there warranty? Is this covered?
Weird. I’ve flown my 2218 radial HEAVY on the throttle for a whole pack on a 9x6 and the motor is hotter than I’d like but it doesn’t worry me... Contact the ft store customer support - I’m not sure if it’ll be covered but I wouldn’t be surprised if they shipped you a new one - I’ve had really great experiences with them.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I wore through about 3/4 of a 3300 pack on that flight, it was mounted as a pusher on an aluminum X mount on a vectored firewall, and it probably didn’t have the best airflow.
Over loading the motor, poor air flow and getting it hot to a point it melts the nylon on the locknut plus the windings are black is one thing but it doesn't usually take out a bearing that way. My guess with the bearing going out with a motor that is already running hot that just compounded the problem. I think if the bearing didn't fail you would still be flying.

Figure9

Elite member
I’ve pretty much given up on making this one a beautiful flying machine & now just hopeful that I can make it fly. I had to go & make about every mistake in the book during the build. So now, top red, bottom yellow for orientation. Squirting the red paint tomorrow when the yellow dries. A little bit left to finish, like hooking up the ailerons & trimming it up the send her up to see how she flies. Soon, if the weather holds out.
Good chance I’ll build another Simple Stick ‘cause the I really like the airfoil shape of the upper fuselage & might want to work on fairing it in an arc to match the top of the wing. Next one a little bit bigger just to the get the 2” fuselage width so the FT engine mount fits just right. It would still have a shorter fuselage than the intended Simple Stick design but I’d again go for a long wing, next time with flaps & tapered trailing edges outboard of the flaps to the wingtips with aileron servos way outboard to the end of the lower wing fold surface. Maybe a 45” wingspan.

E6C8046F-B98D-48E7-B9BE-82D0D16B4597.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve pretty much given up on making this one a beautiful flying machine & now just hopeful that I can make it fly. I had to go & make about every mistake in the book during the build. So now, top red, bottom yellow for orientation. Squirting the red paint tomorrow when the yellow dries. A little bit left to finish, like hooking up the ailerons & trimming it up the send her up to see how she flies. Soon, if the weather holds out.
Good chance I’ll build another Simple Stick ‘cause the I really like the airfoil shape of the upper fuselage & might want to work on fairing it in an arc to match the top of the wing. Next one a little bit bigger just to the get the 2” fuselage width so the FT engine mount fits just right. It would still have a shorter fuselage than the intended Simple Stick design but I’d again go for a long wing, next time with flaps & tapered trailing edges outboard of the flaps to the wingtips with aileron servos way outboard to the end of the lower wing fold surface. Maybe a 45” wingspan.

View attachment 164110
You have some awesome ideas for V2! I can't wait for the maiden of V1. :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So once I finish the edge, simple sticks I'm building, and the Mayan DGA Mr. Mulligan, I am going to build a Simple Scout and a Simple Cub. After watching the build with Bix live stream, I really want the cub again, and, well, gotta do a scout to go with it! Anyone up to a group build? @SquirrelTail said he might...