The Great 2020 Quarantine Build-Off?

daniZZ

Re built the power pod from foam board with a new 3d printed firewall.
Rethought the removable wing fixing, got rid of the barbeque skewers in the lower part of the Fuse holding the use to be hatch and substituted them with a velcro system, "engineer-ed" and 3d printed some internal cross members with some external rubber band holders and held down (more like up) the wings with rubber bands. The wing is more securely fixed to the fuselage and thanks to the cross members the sides of the Fuse are no longer floppy. Also reinforced all the parts which got wrinkled with popsicle sticks and gift card pieces.
Just got from our Chinese friends my new computer transmitter (fly sky FS-T6 for 25 USD shipped to Romania, it was cheaper than the basic Volantex Ex6 I bayed locally 😋😂😎) and set up flaperons because I could go dual ailerons.... But now I have expo and settable dual rates also.......
Just have to sort the battery hold down and see the Cg again and it is ready for it's re-maiden.
Will come back with some pictures with the mods asap.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - I think you would be great at it with your creative flare - I really have not been able to put much time into the hobby over the Covid period, but things are starting to normalise so with a bit of luck .... I can get such into it again!

I really have to give the credit to the design. All i did was try to keep it clean, the paint was the usual shoot it on rattle can style. I do think i want to try airbrushing

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Re built the power pod from foam board with a new 3d printed firewall.
Rethought the removable wing fixing, got rid of the barbeque skewers in the lower part of the Fuse holding the use to be hatch and substituted them with a velcro system, "engineer-ed" and 3d printed some internal cross members with some external rubber band holders and held down (more like up) the wings with rubber bands. The wing is more securely fixed to the fuselage and thanks to the cross members the sides of the Fuse are no longer floppy. Also reinforced all the parts which got wrinkled with popsicle sticks and gift card pieces.
Just got from our Chinese friends my new computer transmitter (fly sky FS-T6 for 25 USD shipped to Romania, it was cheaper than the basic Volantex Ex6 I bayed locally 😋😂😎) and set up flaperons because I could go dual ailerons.... But now I have expo and settable dual rates also.......
Just have to sort the battery hold down and see the Cg again and it is ready for it's re-maiden.
Will come back with some pictures with the mods asap.
Good luck on the remaiden!

shadeyB

Legendary member
I do think i want to try airbrushing

once you start airbrushing you-will want to do more with it. Takes a bit practise and shields are helpful to catch overspray
do it .... click the button on buying the compressor..... blame me if anyone asks lol
Spitfire airbrushed
skull on vertical stab airbrushed
F06B7ACF-DFE4-4C5C-8C25-643A87726C8F.png

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
once you start airbrushing you-will want to do more with it. Takes a bit practise and shields are helpful to catch overspray
do it .... click the button on buying the compressor..... blame me if anyone asks lol
Spitfire airbrushed
skull on vertical stab airbrushed
View attachment 169644

You made a COVID-19 plane! That's pretty funny! Great job on the airbrushing, it looks amazing!

Hoomi

Master member
View attachment 169658

I made a printable figure of Wilbur from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, easily modified digitally to fit a cockpit, and perfect for a Turbo Beaver with a Dodo Airlines paint job!!!!
I'll have to show that to my better half when I get home this afternoon.

One of these days, I may pull the trigger and get a 3D printer.

daniZZ

I'll have to show that to my better half when I get home this afternoon.

One of these days, I may pull the trigger and get a 3D printer.
It will be a great help. I have an Ender3 and it helps me a lot, not only for the hobby. Also I'm printing motorcycle chain oiler helpers and sell them on a local etzy like site. They helped me recover the investment in the 3d printer.
Attached the promised pictures (some of them with 3d printed parts the black ones)
The P40 is ready for it's re-maiden, but here just started pouring rain......

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_190913.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190913.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200522_190910.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190910.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200522_190747.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190747.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200522_190702.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190702.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200522_190622.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190622.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200522_190618.jpg
    IMG_20200522_190618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I've wanted one ever since I saw those bush flying vlogs FT did.
I just watched those the other day. I'm watching Trent Palmer's channel right now. It's always been something I kinda wanted to do, after all I grew up hiking the Southern Sierra and camping the entire state of California so the idea of being able to fly anywhere I could ever possibly want sounds awesome but the bush flying vids have really encouraged me to go for it someday. After I finish school and have my career under me I'll start flying, the newest Kitfox qualifies as an LSA so I don't even need a Class III when I build it and then I can get my private in my own plane.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I just watched those the other day. I'm watching Trent Palmer's channel right now. It's always been something I kinda wanted to do, after all I grew up hiking the Southern Sierra and camping the entire state of California so the idea of being able to fly anywhere I could ever possibly want sounds awesome but the bush flying vids have really encouraged me to go for it someday. After I finish school and have my career under me I'll start flying, the newest Kitfox qualifies as an LSA so I don't even need a Class III when I build it and then I can get my private in my own plane.
Niiiiice! If I get one we should fly formation.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey @The Hangar, sorry if you already mentioned this, but when you cut out the flaps on your simple cub did you have to change the size or deflections of your ailerons? Also how long are the flaps?
The flaps are 5 inches wide. As far as aileron deflection I used the outer most hole on the servo and farthest out on the servo arm. You could get more throw by using a hole farther down on the control horn but it has plenty of throw like I’m using it.
image.jpg
5A85F044-6310-4001-90BD-911009816BAC.jpeg