• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

the sound barrier challange

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I usually tend to make challenges that are made harder by adding criterias like: "fly under a 1 foot high pole" or "maximum wingspan cannot exceed 1m", but not this time, so it should not be too hard to accomplish, the challenge is simple: Break the sound barrier. :)

Hobby-king just released a new turbine didn't they? And oh look! it comes in metallic blue!: http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rouse-Tech_98mm_Motors.asp

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Seen that video... But I mean if those gliders are 399mph fast can a turbine jet or anything like that EVER achieve that speed? I haven´t seen or heard of any.

It will definitely be a tough challenge and you gotta build with high quiality materials like carbonfiber and I even suggest to make an own fuselage out of carbon. I think that fiberglass might not be as good as carbon and you´ll need every g less possible and all stability possible

With the right prop and motor combination I believe it's quite possible to break the sound barrier at the propeller tip
So in that respect, you bet I can break the sound barrier with one of my planes!
;)

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
no, the sonic boom is relative to the noise the plane/rocket makes, it probably isn't as loud as a real jet breaking it, but it should be quite loud.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I've broken the sound barrier with a whip (horse whip)
Really? Is it that easy? I always thought it is because the end kinda folds a little and slaps itself and that is what makes the sound. Or is the sound still created the way I said it or due to gettin breaking through the sound barrier?

Really? Is it that easy? I always thought it is because the end kinda folds a little and slaps itself and that is what makes the sound. Or is the sound still created the way I said it or due to gettin breaking through the sound barrier?
Yeah, it's that easy....The sound is the tip breaking the sound barrier.