The Ugly Duckling FT Flyer 1st Scratch Build!

HillBilly30

So a freind of mine showed me his FT Mustang and introduced me to Flite Test. I couldn't get over R/C planes built from dollar tree foam board, Tape, BBQ skewers, and Hot glue. I was all about it! He had a FT flyer kit he gave me and I ordered another just to be safe, because this is my first built and first plane. It turned out to be a awesome build for my 4yr old son and I he must have watch the video five times he was so excited to build a plane. We named it the Ugly Duckling because half of the right wing was painted black by my friend when he got it, to see how easy it would be to spray paint foam board. It actually turned out pretty good when I started flying it because I could easily tell the right from left wing in the air. I'm getting addicted to these litte planes. The Nutball will be my next build. This is a video of me flying the Ugly Duckling 4 days after it was finished.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Welcome to the forum
Nice solo
When ready to move up to 4 ch just add ailerons to it as you will already be used to flying the flyer. Watch out for 4yr, olds as they will soon be hogging the tx.
Also you are now hooked and will loose sleep, go hungry and spend to much money as you are an addict and will need yrs. of rehab.
Thanks for your service.

ViperTech

Thats a great video and build! Keep it up! I love the quote " flying like a homesick angel" Made me laugh! Welcome to the forum!

HillBilly30

Thanks guys for the welcome and great comments!

Ron B your right my son and I had a blast building the FT Flyer and it is so addictive.

Viper Tech it is funny but there is no other way to explain how she flys.

Daffy Punk

Just got in from flying mine with my daughter. Perfect beginners plane. Flys superbly and no stress if you crash as you can build another in an hour. We were doing low passes in front of us touching the long grass in the field! :eek:

HillBilly30

Just got in from flying mine with my daughter. Perfect beginners plane. Flys superbly and no stress if you crash as you can build another in an hour. We were doing low passes in front of us touching the long grass in the field! :eek:

Daffy Punk I'm glad your daughter's enjoying your Flyer too. They do fly very well. The first thing my son wants to do when he wakes up now is fly the Ugly Duckling. We are rebuilding the wing this afternoon and making some modifications after some unexpected winds during our last flight.

HillBilly30

Update on the Ugly Duckling! I was out the other Morning doing loops for my son when the wind picked up while I was in mid flight like it often does here in the Mojave Desert and folded my wing at the hot glue seam causing the Duck the crash smashing the power pod and wing. Cool!!! Time to go to the bench and make a Mojave proof FT Flyer wing and get the Ugly Duckling back where she belongs. I came up with the idea of taking one of the wire landing gear pieces I had laying around and bending it to fit cut into the wing and then hot glued in backed up with hot Ducked Tape. That way the wing is ridged enough it won't give in to the Mojave winds and I can land it and not crash it. Maybe?? Here are some Pics of the process.

It went together well and the extra weight in the wing set the CG off a little so I had to move the battery forward under the landing gear to get it nose heavy. She still flew good though. I'm not sure what is more fun some times building them or flying them. I guess I'll just have to keep doing both until I figure it out. DSCN9711.JPG DSCN9715.JPG DSCN9717.JPG DSCN9721.JPG