They're killing scratch building.....

danskis

Master member
@Cookmatt67 i had the same problem with printing at the big box office stores. I called a private shop and they print full size plans for $6. Call around

Winglet

I feel a certain obligation to Flite Test to purchase from their store. The few dollars I might save by piecing together an airplane from multiple different sources is really minimal and totally not worth it at all if you count your time. While the Flite Test group in Ohio isn't huge they still have a bunch of employees with families and mouths to feed and plenty of overhead to cover. Development of all these great designs isn't free. I feel like what you get in these kits is a true bargain! Please reward these hard working, good people with regular purchases from their store. You will enjoy these fine kits and they will appreciate your business.

About the only time I scratch build now is if I want to change the scale of a model and a kit isn't available or discontinued.

luvmy40

Elite member
I feel a certain obligation to Flite Test to purchase from their store. The few dollars I might save by piecing together an airplane from multiple different sources is really minimal and totally not worth it at all if you count your time. While the Flite Test group in Ohio isn't huge they still have a bunch of employees with families and mouths to feed and plenty of overhead to cover. Development of all these great designs isn't free. I feel like what you get in these kits is a true bargain! Please reward these hard working, good people with regular purchases from their store. You will enjoy these fine kits and they will appreciate your business.

About the only time I scratch build now is if I want to change the scale of a model and a kit isn't available or discontinued.
I agree with wanting to keep supporting Flite Test the company, I have a stock pile of speed build kits. Keep in mind that a lot of the members of this forum are not U.S. based and buying a speed build kit isn't so easy for them. The fact that FT the company still supports the scratch build community speaks volumes to their character. Free plans or not(I truly understand why they won't do free plans anymore), it's all about the hobby and growing the community with them.

eyeFLYfome

to me, scratch building has always been about choice. you scratch or you dont. noone is killing for you but you. it has always cost more, been harder, and taken longer. its up to you when that changes and noone else.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Last time I checked at staples the blue print copies of pans were $6 each but not all the summer help knows about blue prints, they only know poster quality.
Minute Man Press is a franchise organization. They are very reasonable on pricing. I had the plans for the Scout XL printed and I think it was in the $15 and that was for 7 sheets. Look them up. Prices vary so maybe I just got a good deal.