Thin walls or Surface mode in Cura?

Mezcalyt

Hello everyone.

I have been trying to print some wings and a plane cowl I modelled, but I am having a hard time processing them in Cura.
If I use the Surface Mode option, I get very nice walls, however, the botom layers are gone.
If I try printing using the "thin walls" option instead, then I get the bottom layers, but the walls cannot be printed complete.
Is there a way to print both the bottom layers and thin walls??

I made my model using Fusion 360. I only made bodies and used the option. Then I created the STL files, so there is no thickness information for the cowl walls. I did not produce any components nor meshes either. Just plain bodies.
I am adding and example of the model and then the slicing result when using surface mode and then when using thin walls.
The first doesn´t let me print the base plate, and the second, doesn´t let me print the walls.

Would any have any suggestions?
Thank s a lot!

Attachments

• Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • surface.JPG
    surface.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ThinWalls.JPG
    ThinWalls.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
If your trying to do a single layer wall with some bottom layers you could model the cowl as a complete solid with a slight 0.2mm cut for the bottom layers (Or however many bottom layers you want x 0.2mm). Set walls to one and then use a support blocker with the same height as bottom layers with modified settings for overlaps to get these bottom layers.

Attachments

• 1655614076403.png
    1655614076403.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1655614106675.png
    1655614106675.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
  • example.STL
    19.4 KB · Views: 0

Mezcalyt

If your trying to do a single layer wall with some bottom layers you could model the cowl as a complete solid with a slight 0.2mm cut for the bottom layers (Or however many bottom layers you want x 0.2mm). Set walls to one and then use a support blocker with the same height as bottom layers with modified settings for overlaps to get these bottom layers.
Thanks a lot. I will investigate how to set the support blcker in cura becasu I am new to this, but using your advice I was able to create the bottom plate and the thin wall. I added supporters only on the slight cut and removed the top layer. This way I may only need the cut the opening, but at least I have the full shape now. Thanks!
1.JPG 2.JPG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thanks a lot. I will investigate how to set the support blcker in cura becasu I am new to this, but using your advice I was able to create the bottom plate and the thin wall. I added supporters only on the slight cut and removed the top layer. This way I may only need the cut the opening, but at least I have the full shape now. Thanks!
View attachment 227297 View attachment 227298

Here is a video with some info on modified settings for overlaps. You add a support blocker then change it to modify settings for overlaps. The support blocker will have the same height as the bottom part that you want bottom layers.
I use this trick for my F82 mustang design. The start of each part has 2 bottom layers and the 0.4 mm cut into the solid defines the shape of the bottom layers.
20220529_214736.jpg

quorneng

Master member
Mezcalyt
Your version of CURA under "Special Modes" will have a "Spirolize Outer Contour" tick box. If selected CURA will only print the bottom layer(s) (if applicable) and just a single outer wall at what ever line thickness you have selected. In other words Vase Printing. It will still print any "Bed Adhesion" settings that are set.
Its other feature is it prints the wall in a continuous 'spiral' raising the head progressively as it goes round the print. This gives a very uniform surface and as there are no 'non printing' nozzle movements it is quite a bit quicker.
An example of a small motor cowl I created.
NoseCowl.jpg
The actual CAD model on the left has both an internal and external wall. It is simpler to create it that way.
The spirolized (Vase) printing on the right has only the base layer and the external wall. All the other CURA setting were left alone.
The finished article.
MotorCowl.JPG

It covers a 26 mm out runner which drives a 6" prop. The cowling weighs 1.2 g.
Vase printing can be very useful for light weight structures but unfortunately you cant mix at the same time as ordinary printing.

squishevolve

Here is a video with some info on modified settings for overlaps. You add a support blocker then change it to modify settings for overlaps. The support blocker will have the same height as the bottom part that you want bottom layers.
I use this trick for my F82 mustang design. The start of each part has 2 bottom layers and the 0.4 mm cut into the solid defines the shape of the bottom layers. View attachment 227299
slope game
It's really detailed. I can fix this error at home.