Thinking ahead, balsa in the future...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Keep an eye out on RC Groups Classifieds, Facebook marketplace, eBay, and local estate sales for used kits too - you can sometimes find them for half the price or less compared to buying new. Especially once they are "partially started" - hardly anyone seems interested in buying those so you can get some great prices!

Exactly. I mentioned elsewhere that I picked up a Sig 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Cub at an estate sale that was mostly built and covered, but didn't mention I got it for $75. From the same estate sale I got a 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Taylorcraft that came with servos as well, also for $75. Both will be great projects. Eventually... :)

Lukelsnoot

I'm going to revisit this old topic as it's been on my mind again. And it's made me realize that the year is half over and I still haven't done anything about this yet! :eek: One of my goals for this year was to start on some sort of balsa kit.

So from my next paycheck on, I am going to put back a little bit of money to save up to get some sort of kit or 2. I had actually been seriously looking at the 1/4 scale J3 from Sig and then a little later on, picking out a gas motor for it. I may also still check with that club member to see what large scale kits he has and how much he wants for them (yes I haven't asked him yet...I'm a slacker!).

So that's where I stand. I figure once I have enough saved, I'll start checking around. Wish me luck!
Have you thought about doing a glider? It can get you into large balsa without needing any motor. This could save a lot of money. Also you can buy a bigger plane because you are not spending that money on a motor or esc.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have the Sig float kit too and plan on glassing them when done. It should be a pretty cool build and of course it will be kit bashed like crazy...

basslord1124

Master member
I have a Sig 1/4 scale clipped wing cub kit that I'm probably starting next. Sig makes nice kits, way better than the Great Planes kits I have been working on. I'm going to stay electric all the way as it is so much nicer than messing with gas stuff and 1/5 or 1/4 scale sound very nice with the big props and electric motors. The big gas twins are really cool, but it's a hobby in itself and expensive messing with all that.

I hadn't even looked at Great Planes kits anyways. Yeah the Sig stuff does look nice. I was at our RC field yesterday and some guy was flying a gas powered Sig model (can't find the model on the site, but it's basically a cub with a top and bottom wing like a bipe). Flew real nice. I will stay electric up to a .40 size or maybe a hair bigger. Anything larger though I want to do gas.

Keep an eye out on RC Groups Classifieds, Facebook marketplace, eBay, and local estate sales for used kits too - you can sometimes find them for half the price or less compared to buying new. Especially once they are "partially started" - hardly anyone seems interested in buying those so you can get some great prices!

Oh I will. :) I think I will check with the club member first though. He's an older gentleman, very nice, and his wife happened to be one of my old middle school teachers. Other members have told me he's got A LOT of stuff.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
This engine is a tad to big for a 1/4 scale cub, but man it is pretty. Makes me think twice about sticking with electric...
_vyr_37170FS-2.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
I hadn't even looked at Great Planes kits anyways. Yeah the Sig stuff does look nice. I was at our RC field yesterday and some guy was flying a gas powered Sig model (can't find the model on the site, but it's basically a cub with a top and bottom wing like a bipe). Flew real nice. I will stay electric up to a .40 size or maybe a hair bigger. Anything larger though I want to do gas.

Oh I will. :) I think I will check with the club member first though. He's an older gentleman, very nice, and his wife happened to be one of my old middle school teachers. Other members have told me he's got A LOT of stuff.
Is it the sig Smith miniplane?