This is why people need to take lessons.

earthsciteach

I wonder if someone hit RTH and there happened to be a building in the way. The thing seemed persistent in going through that building.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I was impressed that it recovered after the first hit and assumed that the pilot was like "time to land quick" but was surprised (probably shouldn't have been) to see it fly straight back and almost through the window.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I was impressed that it recovered after the first hit and assumed that the pilot was like "time to land quick" but was surprised (probably shouldn't have been) to see it fly straight back and almost through the window.

Likewise. Kudos to the flight controller for recovering from that. Amazing tech. And then I saw it go right for the window again. Oops.

bgfireguy92

Don't know if any of you saw the video from monument valley with phantom 2. It was almost same thing to happen there and they determined that it was a loss of signal from the transmitter and it defaulted to failsafe of RTH. Think it was the same thing here since it tried going through the building twice.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
This is a perfect example of why RTH/RTL isn't a good idea for beginners despite most peoples assumption that it's a safety feature.

haha49

Return to home...

I set to auto land. Unless I fly over ocean or lakes... then screw it return to home...

Another reason why the O I can just program it isn't a good idea... It tends to not know hey look it's in the way. Flying by waypoints?

Bayboos

RTH is a wonderful feature; but like almost everything else, it works good when used correctly. There is a reason why RTH is supposed to take the plane/multirotor UP first, before anything else. The goal is to stay clear of ALL obstacles. That's why it's important to set the controller to perform RTH higher than anything in the vicinity; otherwise you may end up with a "drone" flying into the same building twice.

When thinking of it, I always recall some quotes from the "Back to the future" movies about "thinking in 4 dimensions"...

RichB

RTH is a bad idea when you are standing at home, and your craft loses control signal because you flew around back of some huge object.

Now you have a large object between your craft and where it wants to be.

I wonder how long before APM offers "backtrack" as an option to signal loss.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I don't think the pilot did something wrong.

He just forgot to open the window first. :D

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I think what scares me the most is that this idiot probably has a drivers license...

Precisely why flying lessons/licensure will never fix the problem. Until people are taught common sense and allowed to experience the consequences of their mistakes, this will continue. The lack of common sense is seen in the government's desire to penalize the innocent for the sins of the guilty. And hey, the FAA has been doing that for what, the past 50 years or more? They've got it down to a science.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
It's like the quad was on a mission to take the building down. Well, at least he believed in himself! Haha

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
*Quad flying along*

"OW! That hurt! Who did that? You did that, didn't you, skyscraper? Well, I'll murdalize ya!"

*Quad then attacks the building, and loses*

dflash

It may not be a nice thing to say, but luckily most of these people fly once, crash and give up since they don't have the know how to take it all apart and put it together again. Also, they feel they just spent $500- $1300 on a device and they don't want to continue throwing money at. I have two friends, that out of impulse, purchased two Phantoms during a BH Photo Xmas blowout sale. One crashed and destroyed it, does not want to spend $50 on buying the shell which I offered to do all the work. The other had issues with satellite link and cant fly auto-everything anymore, so he does not want to fly anymore. If you are not passionate about it, then you give up quick.

Last edited:

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
It may not be a nice thing to say, but luckily most of these people fly once, crash and give up since they don't have the know how to take it all apart and put it together again. Also, they feel they just spent $500- $1300 on a device and they don't want to continue throwing money at. I have two friends, that out of impulse, purchased two Phantoms during a BH Photo Xmas blowout sale. One crashed and destroyed it, does not want to spend $50 on buying the shell which I offered to do all the work. The other had issues with satellite link and cant fly auto-everything anymore, so he does not want to fly anymore. If you are not passionate about it, then you give up quick.

There is something to the phrase, "Those who can be dissuaded from something probably should be."

Especially with RC aircraft, if one mishap or problem saps your enthusiasm, you weren't that into it in the first place.

Brighton_Till_I_Fly

I was seriously impressed but that AI recovery and you have think about the miracle it didn't break a prop... (well the first hit anyway.)