Help with maybe throttle servo%,

Tearinghairout

Hi all,
I’m building out the simple cub with the flitetest radial b pack. I’ve been having a crazy time with getting the motor to operate. My lemon rx receiver is bound to my spectrum dxs. When I plug in my servos they all operate when given the proper inputs. But nothing when I input throttle. I’ve swapped ports and put a servo on the throttle and I get movement. I’ve done a bunch of digging over the last few weeks but I can’t find anything that works. I’ve tried zeroing the throttle, restoring factory settings, trimming all the way down, reversing the throttle, nothing. Any help you all can lend would be helpful. At this point I would honestly love a “you forgot to do X” because I’m at my wits end over here.

Bricks

Master member
Do you have another ESC to try if you can beg borrow or steal one may cut down on trouble shooting.

My guess ( with out more information ) is that the ESC is not recognizing low throttle to arm itself. How you do this on a DXE I have no clue as I have never owned one. Double check all soldered and connections between ESC and battery. Did you calibrate throttle?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its spectrum.... You have to set your end points to + - 147% to get to the 1000us to 2000us signal range for max resolution. This is a problem for some of the newer esc that the stock settings are not wide enough to get past the min command setting to allow an esc to arm.

Tearinghairout

Its spectrum.... You have to set your end points to + - 147% to get to the 1000us to 2000us signal range for max resolution. This is a problem for some of the newer esc that the stock settings are not wide enough to get past the min command setting to allow an esc to arm.
How would one go about doing this? I’ve been digging in the manual but haven’t been able to find (like 8 whole pages) an answer to changing these set points.

Tearinghairout

Do you have another ESC to try if you can beg borrow or steal one may cut down on trouble shooting.

My guess ( with out more information ) is that the ESC is not recognizing low throttle to arm itself. How you do this on a DXE I have no clue as I have never owned one. Double check all soldered and connections between ESC and battery. Did you calibrate throttle?

I haven’t calibrated the throttle. Only set it to zero before messing with other settings. I don’t have another esc. I may see if my local shop can help a guy out.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just looked up that radio and the user manual... and then I remembered why I WONT buy spectrum. I don't want to put down your choice of radio but man.. there is NOTHING the user can set in that radio other then choosing some preset model profiles.

I dont see how they legally get away with putting a radio out that you cant adjust any travels to even properly set up an aircraft. That is not safe at all. Without being able to set up end points / travel adjustments people could end up with a throttle that never shuts off or like in your case wont allow the receiver to arm the throttle channel because the base signal is too high.

I am truly at a loss for even having a suggestion of what to try. Sorry mate.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Check the switch on the top right of the controller.

The DXs seems to be an update of the DXe. On the DXe there's a throttle kill switch on the top right corner of the transmitter.

Tearinghairout

I just looked up that radio and the user manual... and then I remembered why I WONT buy spectrum. I don't want to put down your choice of radio but man.. there is NOTHING the user can set in that radio other then choosing some preset model profiles.

I dont see how they legally get away with putting a radio out that you cant adjust any travels to even properly set up an aircraft. That is not safe at all. Without being able to set up end points / travel adjustments people could end up with a throttle that never shuts off or like in your case wont allow the receiver to arm the throttle channel because the base signal is too high.

I am truly at a loss for even having a suggestion of what to try. Sorry mate.
dang. I just bought all the stuff from the flitetest website. I didn’t think that they wouldn’t be compatible. May have learned an expensive lesson here.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure why they carry that radio other than its the cheapest Spektrum system out there. It almost needs a disclaimer on the store page about how limited it is.

Worst part... is that Spektrum didn't learn their lesson with the DXe. Sure it's cheap, and I'm sure a.marketing genius convinced them that it will force new pilots to upgrade... but if peoples first experience with Spektrum is that bad, then they'll replace it with a different brand and never look back.

Tearinghairout

I'm not sure why they carry that radio other than its the cheapest Spektrum system out there. It almost needs a disclaimer on the store page about how limited it is.

Worst part... is that Spektrum didn't learn their lesson with the DXe. Sure it's cheap, and I'm sure a.marketing genius convinced them that it will force new pilots to upgrade... but if peoples first experience with Spektrum is that bad, then they'll replace it with a different brand and never look back.
Yeesh. I’ve been trying to figure this thing out since August. I don’t mind spending a bit extra to get what I need but I also don’t want to buy two just to get one Tx that works.

Scary

Hole lot of speculation and trashing going on, and you don't even know what the issue is yet. Like bricks said try a different ESC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

which is exactly what I did when researching a radio when I got back into the hobby.

X brand radio has these 10 features.. Spectrum.. 3 X brand radio under $150 dollars for a full function radio with the odd bells n whistles. Spectrum $300+ for a radio with MINIMAL user control.... yeah no.. and EVERY spectrum radio on the market does that retarded "Lets set the resolution to only 80% of the industry standard" thing that causes 90% of the issues people have with their gear.

EDIT: I poked Lee with a stick to inquire about its existence on the store.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hole lot of speculation and trashing going on, and you don't even know what the issue is yet. Like bricks said try a different ESC

No speculation mate. 90% of peoples problems boil down to that defaulted 80% control range plain and simple. The fact that now they make radios where you cant even change it to meet industry standard 1000us to 2000us second range makes it even worse.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, not sure if they've been mentioned but here's few more things to try.

1) Make sure you're turning the transmitter on, with the throttle all the way at zero. Then plug in the plane.

Move the throttle trim as low as it will go, or until the ESC arms.

If that doesn't work...

The Flite Test ESC isn't supposed to be "programmable" but try this...

2) With the prop off, and transmitter at full throttle, plug in the ESC.

Wait for it to beep...

Put the throttle stick back to zero.

See if that helps.

It's called setting the end points. Sometimes the receiver doesn't recognize where the top and bottom of the stick travel is until you show it.

3) Start over by rebinding. See if it will clear any errors that it may have picked up. Make sure the throttle is all the way at zero.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
dang. I just bought all the stuff from the flitetest website. I didn’t think that they wouldn’t be compatible. May have learned an expensive lesson here.

They should be compatible. As long as it's a Spektrum radio, and a Spektrum receiver (or Spektrum compatible receiver) that should all work. The fact that the servos are moving is the proof that they're working together. Now just need to find out why it's not working with the throttle channel.

Main reasons are, as suggested above, end points not setup, low throttle point not being reached (adjusting trim to compensate), faulty electronics.

I wouldn't go to the hobby shop for assistance unless you are a regular customer, or you're buying something other than a prop or other low dollar item. Nothing makes them more frustrated than someone buying things online, but then wanting them to troubleshoot for free. Can't say I blame them.

Hvon11

I have this exact problem with the Spektrum DX6 and an FT 20 Amp ESC. I got it to work by setting The XMTR Throttle travel to -121 and trimmer to -76. Before I figured that out though, I could get the ESC to arm by momenatrilry turning the transmitter off just long enough for the Orange transmitter RF signal LED to go off and then immediately turn the transmitter back on. The ESC would beep and and be armed and I had throttle control. Frustrating but it worked.

So try this: 1) Turn on Xmtr, 2) Turn on plane Xcvr and confirm servos function to stick input. 3) Turn off Xmtr briefly until RF goes off and then back on. Hope that helps.

Also if you program a throttle cut switch, set the off value to -147% as discussed above by PsyBorg.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just got a message back from Lee. He didn't go into details but mentioned a $14 dongle of some sorts that can be used somehow in this particular situation. More about that as soon as I learn what it is and does.

Tearinghairout

They should be compatible. As long as it's a Spektrum radio, and a Spektrum receiver (or Spektrum compatible receiver) that should all work. The fact that the servos are moving is the proof that they're working together. Now just need to find out why it's not working with the throttle channel.

Main reasons are, as suggested above, end points not setup, low throttle point not being reached (adjusting trim to compensate), faulty electronics.

I wouldn't go to the hobby shop for assistance unless you are a regular customer, or you're buying something other than a prop or other low dollar item. Nothing makes them more frustrated than someone buying things online, but then wanting them to troubleshoot for free. Can't say I blame them.
I’ve bought a few things off these guys totaling about 100$ so I wouldn’t feel like I’m taking advantage. But I completely get the sentiment. I’ll try a few other things first as mentioned above.