Tiny 3D printed MiG 15 for Powerup 4.0 with STL

telnar1236

Elite member
This weekend, I felt like building something quick and easy (as opposed to my F-104), so I decided to design a MiG 15 for my Powerup. It is a bit heavy, but it flies nicely, and the more efficient full airfoil wing means that it is actually pretty efficient overall. However, it is a bit fast for smaller spaces (for a Powerup plane). It is printed in LW PLA at a temperature of 240 C and with 0% infill and a 50% extrusion muliplier. I used a wall thickness of 2 layers (0.8mm), which only really affects the canopy and tail, since the rest is thinner anyway. It does need to be printed slowly because of the very thin material. The fuselage and tail are printed as a single piece and the wings are printed as two pieces. There are trim tabs designed into the rudder and horizontal stabilizer, and I needed to add two pennies to the nose for nose weight as well. I'd recommend trimming away the tail a bit, up to the slot for the Powerup, to make it easier to fit it in. The wing is held on by a rubber band and is attached after the Powerup module is inserted to help hold it in place in a crash. It would probably be pretty easy to install the FT EZ pack as well, and it even works nicely as a chuck glider with the electronics removed. There's nothing too crazy about this design apart from the size. It took me maybe an hour and a half to design and 6 hours to print, but it works nicely.

20221120_105402.jpg 20221120_105159.jpg 20221120_105212.jpg 20221120_105223.jpg

Attachments

• Fuse_and_Tail.stl
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Wing_L.stl
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing_R.stl
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jade_Monkey07

This is impressive great work. I never had luck with mine, constant signal loss, turned out the antenna was pinched from the get go and I failed in the repair. Promptly gave up on it. Glad to see it's working well for others

telnar1236

Elite member
This is impressive great work. I never had luck with mine, constant signal loss, turned out the antenna was pinched from the get go and I failed in the repair. Promptly gave up on it. Glad to see it's working well for others
Sorry to hear yours was a lemon. Honestly, even with a good antenna, you still lose signal all the time since the nominal range is only 240 ft. and the controls are pretty limiting and not at all precise. It's just a fun five minutes without as much hassle as going somewhere you can fly larger planes. And if you crash, which is every third flight, it's not as big a deal.

Jade_Monkey07

The power up is one of the things that got me back into rc. And because of how easy it was to just walk across to the local park I ended up getting Into minis and micros and I keep all my planes under 250g so I can still do just that. I wish there was a better way for them to transmit to a phone that wasnt so dodgy. The only way mine ever worked well was with a super long high aspect ratio flying wing that I was slow enough that I could walk next to while I flew it. Everything else was too fast and got out of range within seconds.

Attachments

• 20201114_120254.jpg
    20201114_120254.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201109_014528.jpg
    20201109_014528.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Bo123

Elite member
The power up is one of the things that got me back into rc. And because of how easy it was to just walk across to the local park I ended up getting Into minis and micros and I keep all my planes under 250g so I can still do just that. I wish there was a better way for them to transmit to a phone that wasnt so dodgy. The only way mine ever worked well was with a super long high aspect ratio flying wing that I was slow enough that I could walk next to while I flew it. Everything else was too fast and got out of range within seconds.
The powerup got me into rc! My first post was about it too haha.

AgentC

Elite member
The powerup got me into rc! My first post was about it too haha.
Guess what... It was my intro too!

Fun fact was that I Kickstarted the PowerUp, got into FliteTest as of that, then got the EZ series (and up and flying) before the PowerUp was even delivered.

I didn't have any success with the F22, but had decent flights (inbetween the constant loss of signal) with one of their paper folded designs and the Balsa Tornado Updraft kit.
I then unfortunately destroyed a motor with a bad crash that caused the shaft to bend. Signal loss is again to blame.
'Fixing' attempts resulted in a totally destroyed right motor, which left the project sidelined for months and months.

I just last night decided to try refix it and soldered a new little motor on. It turns at least, so I'll give it a chuck around when I get a gap and see if it flies.
PXL_20230427_124532872.jpg