tiny balsa bipe

micro_builder

The micro forum doesnt get much traction so I didnt know if anyone here wouldve seen this, but I thought you fellow balsa builders might enjoy it: 6.5" biplane

Nick

13.jpg

micro_builder

Thanks! To be honest, it amazed me too...sometimes you just never know how a micro will fly, this was a pleasing surprise.

Nick

NiCK_NaMe

That's amazing! ::looking for a thumbs up button:::

Looks like the FT Gremlin has got something to chase! someone needs to send this to Josh and Alex. Call the episode FT Uber Micro, fly and chase.

Last edited:

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HAHA!!! FREAKIN awesome! I love it...also looks like it flies like a DREAM!
Great job nick! once again, lovin seeing your builds bud!

Blessings,
Stefan

micro_builder

Thanks guys!

NiCK_NaMe I bet the prop wash from a Gremlin would knock this thing out of the air :D

Stefan, yeah she cruises quite nicely...better than I was hoping for, which is always a plus.

Slingshot The RX is a tiny .35 gram 3 channel DSM2 unit with a built in brushed ESC, this little guy. Rudder is controlled with a magnetic actuator, like this guy, but smaller, lipo is a 30mah, and the power unit is a geared 4x12mm motor with a 2.5" prop. Tiny, fiddly stuff, but its worth it...there's a pic of some of the gear in the thread linked in the first post.

Nick

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm thinking of your already-terrific-builds are gonna burst into the spotlight come Fall when the mercury starts to plummet. That looks like a nice gym flyer. Have you looked into how slow of a small flyer you can build?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Thanks guys!

NiCK_NaMe I bet the prop wash from a Gremlin would knock this thing out of the air :D

Stefan, yeah she cruises quite nicely...better than I was hoping for, which is always a plus.

Slingshot The RX is a tiny .35 gram 3 channel DSM2 unit with a built in brushed ESC, this little guy. Rudder is controlled with a magnetic actuator, like this guy, but smaller, lipo is a 30mah, and the power unit is a geared 4x12mm motor with a 2.5" prop. Tiny, fiddly stuff, but its worth it...there's a pic of some of the gear in the thread linked in the first post.

Nick

A rudder only ship. Interesting. My dad's first RC plane was a rudder only reed one-channel Jr. Falcon.

Have you ever spun it under power from altitude? The good pilots would try to loop 'em like that. When you did it at full throttle, it would zoom up and maybe flop a loop when you neutralized the controls.

Last edited:

micro_builder

I'm thinking of your already-terrific-builds are gonna burst into the spotlight come Fall when the mercury starts to plummet. That looks like a nice gym flyer. Have you looked into how slow of a small flyer you can build?

Slow enough to sit in your recliner and cruise around the living room! Living room flyers are great for those cold, windy or rainy days! Theres a video on my channel called 'Living Room Flyer micro RC plane compilation' that shows a short collection of my videos of some in-house flying, though the video quality isnt very good as most of the clips were from about 10 years ago. 3-5 gram RTF weight with 20+ square inches of wing area makes for some slow-goin.

A rudder only ship. Interesting. My dad's first RC plane was a rudder only reed one-channel Jr. Falcon.

Have you ever spun it under power from altitude? The good pilots would try to loop 'em like that. When you did it at full throttle, it would zoom up and maybe flop a loop when you neutralized the controls.

Yep, just 2 channel, throttle acts your elevator...more oomph, more up! Works quite well on these little guys, built countless planes with that setup.

The CG was a bit too far forward in that flight, so no loops, but it does dive a little when turning right and can pick up a bit of speed so with that and an aft CG, it might be able to. I may still put an elevator in for full 3 channels.

Nick

Last edited:

micro_builder

Thank you! I'm supposed to be working on a different plane now that this ones done, but I keep hearing a micro Tubby Cubby call my name...