Tiny Trainer Escapes the Trash Can!

flyinsparky

PXL_20220622_204351604.jpg

After breaking off the rear attachment points where the skewers go through the fuselage, I thought it might be time to retire this well loved model. She's had more than a couple repairs. Good thing I have a laser and can just cut out a new one lickety-split!
PXL_20220622_215547608.jpg

Just like new... ish. 😁

flyinsparky

It's a Full Spectrum Laser PS48. It's been a great machine. I've got it dialed in perfectly so that it does both the full and partial cuts where needed. The plan is that I'm going to be an advisor at the high school where I teach for a RC flight club next year and use it to cut everybody's models. (And then recut as necessary.)

skymaster

Elite member
It's a Full Spectrum Laser PS48. It's been a great machine. I've got it dialed in perfectly so that it does both the full and partial cuts where needed. The plan is that I'm going to be an advisor at the high school where I teach for a RC flight club next year and use it to cut everybody's models. (And then recut as necessary.)
wouldn't it be better if you have your student's print and assemble the plants at first to get to get a feel for architecture.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
That is so cool. 90 watt? I wonder how I could justify one to my better half?

flyinsparky

wouldn't it be better if you have your student's print and assemble the plants at first to get to get a feel for architecture.
Possibly, but I like the idea of having everything cut precisely. It takes one big step out of the process that can add a lot of issues to successful flight. Also, I don't know how much you have been around high schoolers, but even with close guidance they are looking for every opportunity to cut themselves, or someone else with the Exacto blades. I will have them using CAD to design other wings for their planes later on. The goal is to get the planes made and flying before the weather keeps it from happening for months. I will only see them once a week for an hour or so... I think time will be a big concern.

flyinsparky

I'm curious too! What else are you cutting with it to justify dropping $10k+ on a machine like that?
Yes, it is the 90w machine. It's at my school and we use it to make all sorts of stuff for pre-engineering, robotics, woodshop, and graphic design stuff. Our district bought like 6 of them with some help from a grant and educational pricing. We have cut and engraved wood, leather, acrylic, enamel coated steel/aluminum (for plaques), cardboard, foamboard, you name it. I thought the 48" machine was overkill, but we have gotten a TON of use out of it. I'd say it gets used by someone everyday.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Yes, it is the 90w machine. It's at my school and we use it to make all sorts of stuff for pre-engineering, robotics, woodshop, and graphic design stuff. Our district bought like 6 of them with some help from a grant and educational pricing. We have cut and engraved wood, leather, acrylic, enamel coated steel/aluminum (for plaques), cardboard, foamboard, you name it. I thought the 48" machine was overkill, but we have gotten a TON of use out of it. I'd say it gets used by someone everyday.
That's my kind of school! At my high school (many decades ago) we had an enterprising shop teacher who was also a pilot and EAA member. He convinced the administration to let him start an aviation shop. He taught ground school and quite a few of his students had their pilots license by the time they graduated. They also built 3 planes in the time he taught. And he weedled an F86 out of the air force that was parked in front of the school for years.
You look like you're from the same mold - keep up the good work!!