Too many choices!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So recently I ran across a couple items for sale that are haunting me - they NEED to be in my hangar!

But the stuff ain't free.... :(

Plane # 1 is a P-38 with a 100" wingspan. Fiberglass shells for both booms and the center pod, and the wing is just foam that needs to be covered with balsa and fiberglass. It's a beautiful plane, but the cost for retracts is my biggest concern, as those can easily run $400 or more. Plus, dual engines can get costly. But it's a freakin' P-38! The kit is still manufactured, but I'd be buying this at a discount and not paying shipping costs for a very large box.

Plane # 2 is a balsa Japanese Zero. I'm not sure on the wingspan (the wing was partially done and not easily accessible for viewing) but the fuselage is about 5' long, so WS would probably be 8' or so. Going this route with the Zero would be a huge jumpstart on a big project, and finding a Zero this size isn't common.

Plane # 3 is really NOT an option, but a good dream. The seller has a fiberglass fuselage for a P-51 standing in the corner of his basement. No tail surfaces or motor, just the cowl and main fuselage, and it stands over 6' tall! Once completed it would easily be over 7' long. A stock Mustang is about 32', so this may be 1/4 scale. Wingspan would end up around 11', and I'd hate to see the pricetag for an engine for it!

Deals don't come around every day, and I just need to decide what to do. I don't know the asking price for the Zero yet, but maybe a package deal for the P-38 AND the Zero could be worked out!

So come on, somebody, and buy those Fly Baby kits so I can get more stuff I really don't need! :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got a small 800mm Zero which is fun to fly, but has no real presence in the sky. Giant scale would be so much more commanding as it roars by! Then again, twin motors roaring past on a Lightning is nothing to ignore.