Transmitter inputs not showing up in cleanflight

ripley

Even though I have bound my radio to my receiver via cleanflight CLI my stick movements do not show up under the receiver tab in cleanflight.

My set up:
Transmitter: Spektrum DX6
Receiver: Lemon DSMX satellite RX
FC: SPF3 with betaflight 3.0 hex file
ESC: Kiss 24A

It appears I have successfully bound the DX6 to the satellite using the CLI in cleanflight.
I used set spektrum_sat_bind=7 (DSMX 1024bit/22ms)
Channel map is on TAER1234 (spektrum)
I have enabled serial RX on UART3 (see photo)
However I'm not sure if I should have activated the serial RX on UART2 or UART3 or even if this is relevant to my problem.
Under the "configuration" tab I have set the serial receiver provider to SPEKTRUM1024 (see photo)

Could this be a dud board? Is there something I'm missing? Firmware issue?

I'm absolutely bamboozled here and any help would be greatly appreciated. receiver.PNG uart.PNG

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I don't know Spektrum but in FrSky and FlySky you bind the rx to the tx using controls on the rx and tx. For a plane you don't have Cleanflight. Cleanflight isn't part of the binding process for a plane or for FrSky.

I suspect you need to bind rx to tx outside of Cleanflight.

ripley

I don't know Spektrum but in FrSky and FlySky you bind the rx to the tx using controls on the rx and tx. For a plane you don't have Cleanflight. Cleanflight isn't part of the binding process for a plane or for FrSky.

I suspect you need to bind rx to tx outside of Cleanflight.

I'm talking about a quadcopter here and all the guides online about using a satellite RX say that you use cleanflight to bind.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From what I know of spectrum and this is only from reading... You have to connect the satellite to the full size receiver and bind it. THEN you can use the satellite on its own.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
From what I know of spectrum and this is only from reading... You have to connect the satellite to the full size receiver and bind it. THEN you can use the satellite on its own.

Yes.

Planes don't use Cleanflight. Copters do. Both planes and copters can use Spektrum sat receivers.

You bind your receiver to your transmitter without Cleanflight.

With a copter (I'm a copter guy myself) you ALSO have to configure the rx to the flight controller in Cleanflight. This is an EXTRA step you don't have with a plane.

Binding is a special term (reserved word) for connecting the rx to the tx. The flight controller has no role in binding.

ripley

Yes.

Planes don't use Cleanflight. Copters do. Both planes and copters can use Spektrum sat receivers.

You bind your receiver to your transmitter without Cleanflight.

With a copter (I'm a copter guy myself) you ALSO have to configure the rx to the flight controller in Cleanflight. This is an EXTRA step you don't have with a plane.

Binding is a special term (reserved word) for connecting the rx to the tx. The flight controller has no role in binding.

Thanks for your response, I think it's a bit clearer now. I'll hook up the satellite to a normal tx and bind that to my rx, then connect the bound sat to my FC and hopefully that should work?

ripley

That's the deal. You may need to connect your rx to the FC for power first. It depends on your setup. Any way you slice it, Cleanflight comes AFTER binding. :)

Got any photos of your beast?

Here's one of mine.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?14472-CranialRectosis-Twitchity-Mini-Tricopter-build

Not on me at the moment unfortunately but it's a QAV-X Charpu edition with an SPF3, 24A kiss escs and Xnova 2206 2500kv motors built for speeed haha

will you be at flite fest west by any chance?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Spektrum satellite receivers can be put into bind mode using cleanflight/betaflight with most flight controllers. Some, like the Naze32 rev6 require you to connect to a standard Rx to bind. If you've done that and bound it correctly your Tx should have let you know that the bind was successful. I'm not sure of this procedure as I use a DX9, not a DX6, but I imagine it's similar.

You can be sure you've bound correctly when the LED on the Rx is on steady. Depending on where you've connected the Rx signal line will determine which UART you need to enable serial_rx on. UART3 is broken out on pin 3 of the IO_2 cable set, as well as having a separate header you can solder to. UART2 has a separate connector that alos provides +5v and should not be used (see below)

How are you powering the Rx? SpekSat receivers require 3.3V to operate, not 5V like all the others. +3.3V is broken out on pin 8 of the IO_1 cable set. Powering with 5V will cause damage (perhaps not immediate) and will not operate correctly.

Also I should note that you probably want to upgrade to Betaflight 3.1 and use the Betaflight Configurator app. Trying to configure Betaflight with CF configurator will definitely cause problems. It will connect and maybe save settings, but you can be sure that they will be wrong.

ripley

Spektrum satellite receivers can be put into bind mode using cleanflight/betaflight with most flight controllers. Some, like the Naze32 rev6 require you to connect to a standard Rx to bind. If you've done that and bound it correctly your Tx should have let you know that the bind was successful. I'm not sure of this procedure as I use a DX9, not a DX6, but I imagine it's similar.

You can be sure you've bound correctly when the LED on the Rx is on steady. Depending on where you've connected the Rx signal line will determine which UART you need to enable serial_rx on. UART3 is broken out on pin 3 of the IO_2 cable set, as well as having a separate header you can solder to. UART2 has a separate connector that alos provides +5v and should not be used (see below)

How are you powering the Rx? SpekSat receivers require 3.3V to operate, not 5V like all the others. +3.3V is broken out on pin 8 of the IO_1 cable set. Powering with 5V will cause damage (perhaps not immediate) and will not operate correctly.

Also I should note that you probably want to upgrade to Betaflight 3.1 and use the Betaflight Configurator app. Trying to configure Betaflight with CF configurator will definitely cause problems. It will connect and maybe save settings, but you can be sure that they will be wrong.

Update: I am absolutely positive the Satellite is bound to my DX6, I bound it the old fashioned way by connected it to a full function RX and then binding it that way. I then hooked the bound RX with satellite attached to a servo and tested all the channels which worked as expected. THe bind was successful.

However when I plug just the satellite into the F3 no stick movement shows up on betaflight.

The VCC of the sat is connected to the 3.3v output of the F3 and the Signal wire is connected to RX of UART3

Now that I know it's not a bind issue I'm back to square one haha, could it be a faulty F3 board?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Update: I am absolutely positive the Satellite is bound to my DX6, I bound it the old fashioned way by connected it to a full function RX and then binding it that way. I then hooked the bound RX with satellite attached to a servo and tested all the channels which worked as expected. THe bind was successful.

However when I plug just the satellite into the F3 no stick movement shows up on betaflight.

The VCC of the sat is connected to the 3.3v output of the F3 and the Signal wire is connected to RX of UART3

Now that I know it's not a bind issue I'm back to square one haha, could it be a faulty F3 board?

It's definitely possible, a couple more questions first though. Are you using the Betaflight Configurator, or Cleanflight? You mention both. Also, do you have the battery plugged in? I don't believe that the SPF3 powers that 3.3V output from USB.

ripley

It's definitely possible, a couple more questions first though. Are you using the Betaflight Configurator, or Cleanflight? You mention both. Also, do you have the battery plugged in? I don't believe that the SPF3 powers that 3.3V output from USB.

I was using cleanflight but now I've moved over to betaflight. The F3 is flashed with betaflight 3 i believe

Weird because when I connect the board to my computer the sat led turns on when I turn my radio on - I thought this implies it is receiving power from the F3

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I was using cleanflight but now I've moved over to betaflight. The F3 is flashed with betaflight 3 i believe

Weird because when I connect the board to my computer the sat led turns on when I turn my radio on - I thought this implies it is receiving power from the F3

It must be getting power then, I wasn't sure. Have you re-flashed since moving to BF? If not, I'd deffinitely suggest trying that.

ripley

It must be getting power then, I wasn't sure. Have you re-flashed since moving to BF? If not, I'd deffinitely suggest trying that.

Good news the original issue has been fixed. In the end I reflashed the F3 with the latest betaflight hex file. Thanks to all the people who helped!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wahoo!! another win for the good guys. GL in the next phase of setup. Be sure to get us maiden video when the time comes too please and ty.