Tricopter rudder servo setup on KK2.. Help!

Todd Optional

Hey guys,
I've started putting my tricopter after a few months of it sitting on my bench.. Winter time I thought would be the best time to build it but my health has not been the best this winter... Anyway, I finally have to together and i've come into a snag with setting up the rubber servo for pivoting the tail rotor.. With the KK2 set to "servo" on the rubber channel the servo does not respond to ruder stick input.. What else am I missing here?

Components:
Spectrum DX8 radio
KK2 Board
Hobbyking digital servo on the tail

Oh, and do I need a BEC to power the receiver?

Thanks for any help!

20140225_165724.jpg 20140225_165755.jpg

Shufty

Are you spinning the props up for you try to move the rudder? It won't move unless you have some throttle on (remember to have the props off the first time!)

If that's not the case, is the rudder showing up in the receiver test on the KK2 board?

As long as your ESC's have built in BEC's they will power the KK2 board and Rx.

Shufty

Haha no worries! It had me scratching my head for a bit too, just make sure that it's going in the right direction too (needs to tilt the opposite direction to your stick movement when you're standing behind it.). If not, then you need to go into the mixer editor, channel 4 and change the rudder from 100 to -100 (or vice versa).

Todd Optional

just make sure that it's going in the right direction too (needs to tilt the opposite direction to your stick movement when you're standing behind it.). If not, then you need to go into the mixer editor, channel 4 and change the rudder from 100 to -100 (or vice versa).

The opposite direction. Really? I would have thought when you are standing behind the copter, a right stick move would have right tilt on the motor...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Shufty is correct. To yaw the nose right the tail needs to yaw left. Put the tricopter in front of you and visualise what the tail needs to do to yaw in a given direction while taking into account the direction of airflow caused by the prop.

Last edited:

Todd Optional

I will do.. I'm hoping to be getting some test flits on it in a week or so. I had Blue Wonders on the copter but I switched them out for 3 NTM 1200KV motors so I can run my GoPro and FPV gear on it. Winter has been a little ruff this year and I'm really wanting spring to get here so i'm not freezing wile flying :cool:

DDSFlyer

And if the copter just tries to spin in circles on takeoff, reverse that 100 to -100 (or vice Versa) before it turns horribly wrong...

Madmarl

My tail servo shakes like a wet dog. How would you calm it down? Taranis, KK 2.0, dt750 motors, Original Metal gear servo(V1.0 Spec).