tried adding a wide angle lens to my hubsan x4 and no more video from camera

anammox

http://flitetest.com/articles/wide-angle-lens-modification-for-hubsan-x4-h107d

I followed the process from the videos as close as I could but found some discrepancies that forced me to consider other options.

The original square camera housing was very well adhered to the circuit board where the image sensor lives. I had to cut it off with a razor blade and I didn't see any double sided tape. Looked more like it was glued down. I did my best to try to avoid cutting any components or the circuit board.

The only adhesive I had on hand that I thought would work was DAP 100% silicone for windows and doors. I used a toothpick and applied a very thin bead along the bottom edge of the new wide angle housing and stuck it to the hubsan video circuit board. 24 hours later it was still not dry so I gave up on that and bought some DEVCON 5 minute epoxy, which according to the internets is OK for potting electronics.

I removed the housing, wiped off the silicone, and reapplied with epoxy. I then used a permanent marker to black out the epoxy and prevent as much light from creeping in around the sealed seam. Only at this time did I think about plugging in a battery to see if it worked. Lo and behold, no video. Everything else works with my hubsan x4 107d, and the screen flickers as if it is making a video connection when you first bind to plane, but screen stays black.

Help me understand what I did wrong. Was it the silicone? I read somewhere that it may release a mild acid as it cures which could have etched the circuit board. Or was I too aggressive with the blade when I cut the housing off the first time, and maybe scraped or cut something? Or finally was it the permanent marker or epoxy?

I have a replacement board coming and I am undecided as to whether I should try again more carefully or just leave it stock so I can at least fly FPV. I don't want to order a second replacement board...

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I don't think silicone would hurt it but it is acidic. My bet is on board stress caused by the cutting or on static discharge from handling.

Got this quote from eevblog. I doubt there was enough time for any fumes to corrode anything:

Your normal every day RTV silicone is 'Condensation cured' where atmospheric moisture is what makes it cure. There are 3 general kinds. Acetoxy cure, which is the cheapest, bonds well, but releases acetic acid on curing (the acid ingredient in vinegar) And corrodes copper and lots of other metal. Even sealing an enclosure with it, the trapped fumes inside can corrode the items. The other two kinds are neutral cure, but still slightly different. Oxime cure which releases a ketone on curing. This can corrode copper on contact, but isnt as bad to use near electronics, just not directly on copper. The most desirable for electronics is Alkoxy cure, which releases methanol. Mind the fumes from all of them, but if you have a large surface area covered, Acetic acid fumes can be pretty nasty. Though your nose will give you plenty of warning that something isnt right.

The GE silicone II, as mentioned, is generally available locally (at least in the US) and is Alkoxy cure, so +1 to nanofrog on that being a good choice.

anammox

OK. I am going to make a second attempt at it when the new one shows up. Can I leave it plugged in while I perform the surgery to make at least know when something happens, if I end up losing signal?

I have avoided the jelly lens because it is heavier and bulkier than this keychain cam mod. I know it would be easier but I like challenges.

Bricks

Master member
When my camera went out of my Hubsan I did this upgrade and since I use Quanums V2 goggles I did not due the channel change. The Hubsan transmitter will allow you to change the FPV channels but have to make the change every time the transmitter is turned on. This setup is much clearer and more range then stock Vtx, weight wise darn close to stockcamera. I kept the stock dipole anenna to keep weight down even farther.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456116

anammox

I bought a new camera/vtx board and made a second attempt. Used a craft knife/scalpel and was really careful this time when slicing.

20160114_214042.jpg

The Devcon 5 minute epoxy is still drying (I will let it cure overnight to make damn sure it's dry throughout), but I plugged it in to test and it seemed to still be working! I'll be back with a quick fpv video if it still works tomorrow. I'm excited this was my first RC vehicle since I was 8 years old, and my first mod!