trimming park zone champ.

Crash&burn

trimming hobby zone champ.

So I finally went out and bought my first plane. Maiden flight went well but need help trimming the bird, it just kept climbing even at half throttle. I was fighting the sticks the whole time ended up having to glide to a landing every time.

Last edited:

fish

two areas of interest;

Elevator, and COG (center of gravity). not a pro. so will let the pro's walk you through the right steps.

manual may have COG to leading edge Center of Gravity is COG

quorneng

Master member
Does it balance at the right point as given in the instructions?
If we assume you have it balanced at the right point your transmitter has trim buttons or sliders. They move the control surface by a small amount but it does not alter the stick centre position.
So with the Champ in the air use the elevator 'down' trim (or move the slider forward) gradually until the plane is flying level at say half power.
If you have to use all the available trim and it is still climbing then something is wrong. Either you did not balance it correctly or something is out of alignment.
Hope this helps

Crash&burn

So it went a lot better today. I have it flying straight but damn the slightest little wind and you are banging the sticks. I have yet to crash it and it lands perfect. I'm getting about 10 minute flight times in the wind.

brian79cj

The Champ is so small and light that it doesn't really like the wind. Trimming other than in the Tx is just a little bending of the control rods. It's a great plane. If you are using the small Tx that comes with the RTF be careful, keep it close and upwind from you. The range is not very far and can lose signal and be blown away. Happened to a friend.

Crash&burn

Yeah I learned the hard way today. It was about 75 meters away list signal and crashed into a roof at the park I was at. Had to get the park workers to get it. When I went back to my park bench someone stole my charger and two battery's. My question is I'm flying and landing this plane with ease. When should I move to the next skill level aircraft ? What would you guys suggest ?

brian79cj

Well if you want to stick with PNF then the Hobby Sport Cub S is a really nice 4 channel. Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    747.6 KB · Views: 8

fish

Last edited:

Crash&burn

Sorry the thread title is a typo. It is a hobby zone champ. I have no problem at all flying. I'm fighting the wind more then anything. I can land the bird with no problem on its wheels . Once I'm flying with the wind it Flies just fine. Would the sport cub S be the next logical bird to get?

fish

thanks for clearing up some of the info..

1 Champ is a 3 ch plane for beginners. all you have to do is give throttle she will climb. get off the throttle she will land herself.

2. champ is for dead calm days, and can be flown in gentle breeze, the more the wind, more the challenge.

3 trimming her in dead calm weather, and not at half throttle, but coasting speed. a little down works for me.

4. battery placed in will change COG (center of gravity) once you find cog, with bat. mark the bat and planes bat tray a line will do, each bat you use bigger or smaller.

5. inspect rudder & elevator for any hair line cracks, especially by the horns if you are going off trim. even check your Tx for the correct trim...

I read you moved forward had some good flights and quickly learned her. no crashes. soon after you crashed, and now you want to move to an better plane?

What Transmitter are you using? once again?

The Sport Cub S, will be a stronger plane, easier plane to fly over the champ due to the SAFE technology. I would not get the Radian just yet I feel it is a great plane yes but more a glider than a plane. are you interested in using less motor and more gliding, it is a Lighter plane and some more care is needed.

If you want to get a plane the next size up should be something to look at, but if UMX micros are what you like flying. Sport cub SS, Carbon Cub SS down the road,

Last edited:

Crash&burn

Isn't that how if works you crash a plane then move on to the next skill level up right? I'm joking. I have the cheap transmitter that came with the bird. I'm currently flying in Califonia but I'm headed back to Alaska in a week or so. I changed the battery's in the transmitter and keep the bird no further then 35 - 40m away. It's more me being impatient and wanted a faster bird. Thanks everyone for the input.

fish

300ft MAX is the distance. Totally agree but I get a DX6. I look into a Sports Cub larger scale, after the sports cub smaller scale.

One can always use glue to no longer?

When you head back keep the bats warm. and blanket them on the plane.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
DX6i is the old model radio and if you can find a good bargain on it, it's a fine radio that will last a while (I picked one up last year at a festival for $40 with a damaged antenna . . . I don't expect you'll find that deal but there are plenty out there in the sub $100 range). It is, however fairly crippled in it's programming capability -- better than many in it's price range, but very limited.

The DX6 just came out late last year and the only firmware crippling in it is the channel count -- still stuck at 6, but what you can do with the 6 is very open to possibilities.

That being said, these are capabilities you'll need eventually, but maybe in a year or so. I'd expect the DX6i should easily meet your needs for a year, possibly longer, with the potential need being you can't quite do what you want with the 6 channels . The DX6 will take much longer to grow out of, and the limit you'll want to break free of is "not enough channels", instead of what you can't do with 6.

fish

DX6I has less of what the DX6 has.

DX6 talks to you, has a dual timer 250 plus memory for planes, heli's sale planes. A much better antennae system, wireless buddy boxing. Light up screen. three position switches, movable switches, so if you do not like Panic on left button you can swap it to where ever. Voice commands that you have a good number but not enough to choose from, images to put down as your craft. option to advance to a different battery for the transmitter. A much easier interface.

If you want to set up a craft. it takes less steps than the DX6I. you can just load a spm file and done.or manually load it in.

DX6I is a great transmitter 10 memory plane. two position switches.no back light, an audable alarm. and some more, the antennae is bendable, the DX6 is the better design.

You talked about the DX5E a one plane transmitter, so is the DX4.

New the DX6I 159, new the DX6afew dollars more 20.00 more, and you may even get a ar600 rx. Always wait for Horizon hobby letters for sales. Yes you canget used, and you can get outdated Dx's that may not function correctly with newer planes. be careful?

Crash&burn

So to me it makes sense to buy a DX6. If I'm looking at getting a better TX for 50 dollars more then it's sounds to me like that is the one to buy. As for the next bird I think I will get the sport cub S. It's cheap and it will allow me to fly 4 channels. Yay or nay ?

Last edited: