Trying to find motivation

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
It's been really hard for me to find motivation lately. After some things that happened last year I really didn't have any interest in aviation at all. That's a huge deal for me. Lately I've been feeling the pull a bit more, largely thanks to Hayao Miyazaki. I'm still not going to get involved on any sort of commercial level like I was, and it's likely I never will, but now I'm more free to just enjoy it for what it is and fly the way I want to.

Now full scale aviation is its own thing, and as much as I like building RC I've always had trouble flying them. I don't really have anyone to fly with and I'm not interested in paying for a club membership so it's usually just me out there. If I'm not specifically meeting someone it's difficult for me to just get up and go fly by myself and I'm not sure how to fix that. How do you all combat this? Is there a better way to do it?

There's a few guys I can probably try to fly with who I used to go to school and work with, it's just a bit of a strange relationship with how that program and job turned out for me.
I live in southern California for the time being, near the Prado airpark if there's anyone else out here.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Throughout my aviation career, I had times when aside from work, I wanted nothing to do with airplanes. But eventually, the sound overheard, or the contrail, or even a breeze would remind me that I really do love airplanes. My first flight was when I was 4 years old. I remember it vividly, and now 58 years later I am even more in love with aviation - R/C, full-scale, or just watching YouTube - if it has wings...

Legendary member
Throughout my aviation career, I had times when aside from work, I wanted nothing to do with airplanes. But eventually, the sound overheard, or the contrail, or even a breeze would remind me that I really do love airplanes. My first flight was when I was 4 years old. I remember it vividly, and now 58 years later I am even more in love with aviation - R/C, full-scale, or just watching YouTube - if it has wings...
Exactly, that's where I'm at right now too. Just a matter of how to actually go out and fly when flying stresses me out.

Tench745

Master member
Exactly, that's where I'm at right now too. Just a matter of how to actually go out and fly when flying stresses me out.
My gut reaction is "don't". If you're stressed out by it, don't do it.

If you're like me, and it sounds like you are, that's not a good enough answer.
You want to fly because you want to want to fly. So do what you can to make it easy; remove as many obstacles as you can so when you get that slight urge to fly you can just grab something and go and remind yourself why you love it.

Maybe that means keeping your favorite plane ready to go.
Maybe that means getting a slow-flyer of some sort that means long, relaxing flights.
Maybe it's a glider that can have a battery (ideally not a lipo) just charged and waiting to go.
Maybe it's keeping something in your car.
Maybe what you need is a new challenge to rise to, something new to learn or a new type of plane, etc etc.

For a while I didn't want to fly anything. My friend, (who has never flown anything RC) had found some old blue-cor planes at a garage sale which I updated enough to fly. When there was a particularly nice day I invited her out to watch the maiden, and she got to fly it a little on the buddy box. Watching her discover the joy of RC flight helped re-spark that interest for me.

I can't say what will work for you, but consider this. "Motivation is just when it is easier to do something than to not do it."
If you need help motivating, take little steps when you can to make the thing you want to want to do easier and the alternatives harder.

Legendary member
My gut reaction is "don't". If you're stressed out by it, don't do it.

If you're like me, and it sounds like you are, that's not a good enough answer.
You want to fly because you want to want to fly. So do what you can to make it easy; remove as many obstacles as you can so when you get that slight urge to fly you can just grab something and go and remind yourself why you love it.

Maybe that means keeping your favorite plane ready to go.
Maybe that means getting a slow-flyer of some sort that means long, relaxing flights.
Maybe it's a glider that can have a battery (ideally not a lipo) just charged and waiting to go.
Maybe it's keeping something in your car.
Maybe what you need is a new challenge to rise to, something new to learn or a new type of plane, etc etc.

For a while I didn't want to fly anything. My friend, (who has never flown anything RC) had found some old blue-cor planes at a garage sale which I updated enough to fly. When there was a particularly nice day I invited her out to watch the maiden, and she got to fly it a little on the buddy box. Watching her discover the joy of RC flight helped re-spark that interest for me.

I can't say what will work for you, but consider this. "Motivation is just when it is easier to do something than to not do it."
If you need help motivating, take little steps when you can to make the thing you want to want to do easier and the alternatives harder.
Thank you very much!

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Thank you very much!
I am also scared to death of flying my airplanes. But for me I keep one scratch built airplane ready to go and if it happens to be a nice day I will put a battery in it and just see how it goes. Often times I don’t come back with an airplane. When I am bored or upset about something it always helps to build an airplane. And then I am ready to fly again!
I also will attach a few pics of my last attempt.
This is my FT Explorer that I made to test my head tracking system with. I was super scared of destroying it because I had worked very hard to make it and the head track took DAYS to make,
But I went ahead.
59B5895B-493E-4E62-AFDD-49A4E9A3792E.jpeg

I crashed. And destroyed it. But I actually had fun even though it was a fail. What it did the most was motivate me to not fail next time! I am now going to make a FT Mini Guinea to test next time. Mostly because I have nothing but great experience’s with it.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I am also scared to death of flying my airplanes. But for me I keep one scratch built airplane ready to go and if it happens to be a nice day I will put a battery in it and just see how it goes. Often times I don’t come back with an airplane. When I am bored or upset about something it always helps to build an airplane. And then I am ready to fly again!
I also will attach a few pics of my last attempt.
This is my FT Explorer that I made to test my head tracking system with. I was super scared of destroying it because I had worked very hard to make it and the head track took DAYS to make,
But I went ahead.
View attachment 211923
I crashed. And destroyed it. But I actually had fun even though it was a fail. What it did the most was motivate me to not fail next time! I am now going to make a FT Mini Guinea to test next time. Mostly because I have nothing but great experience’s with it.
Also I am sorry I just realized that this isn’t really what he asked but I got kinda caught up with what I was saying and it just poured out.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
For me flying is a de-stresser. I enjoy it whether I’m with other people or by myself, whether it’s ripping some packs in my backyard or flying my big gas birds at the field. I think @Ketchup might be somewhere in that area…

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
For me flying is a de-stresser. I enjoy it whether I’m with other people or by myself, whether it’s ripping some packs in my backyard or flying my big gas birds at the field. I think @Ketchup might be somewhere in that area…
For me flying was my main de-stresser as well, but sometime around last year my other main hobby kind of took over there. Now I also have the same problem as @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes where it's hard for me to just go fly. It isn't that I'm nervous or scared, but more that school stopped me from flying for so long that I forgot why I love to do it. I also have other more accessible de-stressers so I have lost my urge to fly and instead I want to go on a bike ride or just go outside.
My suggestion would be similar to what @Tench745 is saying. Don't do it if it stresses you out and don't force yourself into it. It's all right if you can't get yourself to go fly, maybe you are just losing interest and that can happen. I would just keep a reliable, fun, and easy to fly plane in flying condition always so if you ever feel even a slight urge for flight you can go do that.
Also, while many of us will eventually come back to the hobby after losing interest, know that you may not. I know of one guy who was quite knowledgeable and well known here on the forums who found other hobbies and has mostly left RC since then. I would recommend trying out other things that you might enjoy doing just in case you find another hobby that fits you better.
It's quite late right now so my ability to properly translate my thoughts into words is a bit impaired, but I hope the general idea came through well enough.

M

MCNC

Based on your message history, you seem interested in building many things. If you have not already tried this, it requires whatever time you may have to give. It also allows you to share skills with folks craving to both learn and help make a difference . Sometimes this type activity motivates other activities and provides perspective.
https://www.habitatca.org/about/

It took me my whole life to figure out that I do in fact have one "guilty pleasure". It works as a pretty good de-stresser that might work for you too.
When an ignorant person puts themselves in your way, follow these steps:
1. Go find a stick.
2. Poke them with it until they realize they lost.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You've hinted at a problem, that you have no one to fly with. As Josh likes to point out, it's not about the airplanes, it's about the people. Maybe that's part of where you're at?

I enjoy flying alone. I'm not a great pilot, so I'll never go out to fly to impress anyone else with my skills. I enjoy watching the planes fly by. I like the solitude, because the day job is often crammed with people, many of them can be unpleasant. So I enjoy the alone time, with just me and the planes.

But, sometimes I would like to fly with others, but there's not many people in my area to fly with. Social media can help here. I know it's often painted as evil, but it's a tool, treat it as such. Maybe you can't fly with other people, or you may not want to, but you still want to share. Forums and even FB can help with that.

This is a great thread for a little motivation...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/what-did-you-fly-today.57878/page-479#post-689572

No pressure to post, but when you fly, you can just drop some words and pictures. And like magic, you've just shared your flying experience with others who aren't going to be critical of your flying or what types of models you brought out. So far the guys in that thread have been pleasant and encouraging, with only the occasional well intended ribbing.

But as Tench745 said, if it stresses you, don't do it. The hobby should be a source of happiness and stress relief. If it isn't giving you that, maybe it's time for a break, or time to take a look at how you're doing the hobby, and maybe change the parts that aren't bringing you joy.

Legendary member
Thank you everyone, I wasn't expecting such a big response to this post. I think I'm going to try some of the things @Tench745 said and try to make it as simple as possible for me to get out and fly. I think I even see a neat little spot in my schedule that I can fit some time in about once a week. Maybe once I start doing it more some of the other things will start to fall into place, who knows.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Legendary member
Maybe try something different.... If you have never tried FPV, Give it a go. You may find a whole new appreciation of the hobby and those around you.
Might try and build an FPV wing at some point, I need to get proficient at flying LOS first though.
It's not really a matter of finding something "different" or new to try, this has been my struggle ever since I got into RC and I've never actually done much flying. I just figure it's about time to change that.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Might try and build an FPV wing at some point, I need to get proficient at flying LOS first though.
It's not really a matter of finding something "different" or new to try, this has been my struggle ever since I got into RC and I've never actually done much flying. I just figure it's about time to change that.
I go through phases of flying ONLY FPV quads, and then ONLY LOS wings...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I go through phases of flying ONLY FPV quads, and then ONLY LOS wings...

But do you ever fly LOS quads?

I spent a pack or two in the front yard this afternoon getting re-acquainted with my FT270. I haven't flown it in a while so I did a bit of goggles and LOS flying. It's analog, and I have a DJI system in another quad, so it's hard to not feel a bit spoiled going from one to the other, but I really love how the FT270 feels in the air. I may have to switch it over to HD eventually.