Trying to find motivation

CappyAmeric

Elite member
But do you ever fly LOS quads?

I spent a pack or two in the front yard this afternoon getting re-acquainted with my FT270. I haven't flown it in a while so I did a bit of goggles and LOS flying. It's analog, and I have a DJI system in another quad, so it's hard to not feel a bit spoiled going from one to the other, but I really love how the FT270 feels in the air. I may have to switch it over to HD eventually.
Only FPV. I have built quite a few, and most I put the DJI FPV system on them. I even repurposed some old retail quads into DJI. It will spoil you!

Might try and build an FPV wing at some point, I need to get proficient at flying LOS first though.
It's not really a matter of finding something "different" or new to try, this has been my struggle ever since I got into RC and I've never actually done much flying. I just figure it's about time to change that.
Sounds like you're telling MY story. I do so much more building than flying. The model's never finished until you fly it. After the maiden, the project was a success whether it did well or not so well. I wind up taking a plane out, learning something, and then when I do crash I'm too busy with another design/build to repair the old broke one.

SSgt Duramax

Sounds like you're telling MY story. I do so much more building than flying. The model's never finished until you fly it. After the maiden, the project was a success whether it did well or not so well. I wind up taking a plane out, learning something, and then when I do crash I'm too busy with another design/build to repair the old broke one.
Many a plane hit the scrap heap for this reason alone. My explorer had little more than a dented nose, but I started pulling parts out of it, and well, the rest is history literally and figuratively.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I actually just cleared out a lot of planes last week. Some were well loved and needed replaced anyway, like @The Hangar's Simple Stick that I flew practically into the ground, but for the most part they were a lot of rushed designs I'd never really finished and I can't say I'm too unhappy to have them gone. It gives me room to put time into well and truly finishing new projects before moving on to the next thing. I kept all the ones I still see myself flying, gliders mostly.
But then there's my U-2, I just know I'll finish it someday. I've literally been working on it for over a year now. You could probably surf on this wing.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/lockheed-u2-master-series-70mm-edf.62981/

In the meantime I'm working on a new Super Cub to replace the Stick as my go-to.

Edit: reading my U-2 thread it looks like I actually did a lot of work on it after I left the MC? I don't even remember doing that. Hmm.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on flying is relaxing for me.
+1 on flying with friends is much better than alone.
+1 on teaching a younger person to fly.

I understand where you are coming from. I’ve had several periods where life took over & I had to set my planes aside for a season. Life happens. I’ve also had all my flying buddies get old or move away. Had to fly alone for several years. Then pick up a newbie, then another, now we have a nice size group. Over the years I’ve had some spectacular crashes, I’m glad I could share them with people I can call friends.

My suggestion, try a more challenging plane. Maybe a war bird, maybe 3D, maybe a flying wing, maybe a quad, maybe something blazing fast. The hobby has a lot to offer, it’s good to give yourself a new challenge.

Only you can answer what will get the blood pumping again.

Last edited:
For me I'm really not interested in "finding motivation" for what's only a fun pastime. I have time where I have to be somewhere, have to be doing something - like work, grocery shopping, laundry and everything else - and then I have free time. I savor my free time and I do what I feel like doing. The end.

I fell off RC a few months back. I realized I was earning too much money to keep living in a zoo, I immediately knew I was moving and where I was moving too (another specific Brooklyn neighborhood). Pretty much at the same time I knew I needed a new bike that would be just right for the riding I do and be long-term dependable, not a "curbside find" beater project. The move + the bike left no time for RC toys. No sweat. I didn't feel like RC planes, I had more important things at the time. A little while after the move it suddenly came back. I would have been just as happy if it was a different interest that found itself in my crosshairs.

If I had a buddy next to me asking these questions I would say: No need to force anything on your time. Go where your heart takes you. Or is the question really about lacking interest in anything, planes or anything else? That's a state of depression, most likely temporary. Or there are some pretty big issues inside your head right now, not letting you let loose and relax. Hey if you need time for yourself to try to find your way or settle your head somehow, then do that. Take a walk around the block or over the next hill. Find the right person to talk to. Don't do planes if you're not feeling it right now.

I had a period of many years where I was unsettled with my life and where I was headed. Subconsciously I refused to allow myself time for constructive projects like this. That's ok, that was then, but I'm glad I got over it or settled my head or whatever. RC planes are fun.

Legendary member
For me I'm really not interested in "finding motivation" for what's only a fun pastime. I have time where I have to be somewhere, have to be doing something - like work, grocery shopping, laundry and everything else - and then I have free time. I savor my free time and I do what I feel like doing. The end.

I fell off RC a few months back. I realized I was earning too much money to keep living in a zoo, I immediately knew I was moving and where I was moving too (another specific Brooklyn neighborhood). Pretty much at the same time I knew I needed a new bike that would be just right for the riding I do and be long-term dependable, not a "curbside find" beater project. The move + the bike left no time for RC toys. No sweat. I didn't feel like RC planes, I had more important things at the time. A little while after the move it suddenly came back. I would have been just as happy if it was a different interest that found itself in my crosshairs.

If I had a buddy next to me asking these questions I would say: No need to force anything on your time. Go where your heart takes you. Or is the question really about lacking interest in anything, planes or anything else? That's a state of depression, most likely temporary. Or there are some pretty big issues inside your head right now, not letting you let loose and relax. Hey if you need time for yourself to try to find your way or settle your head somehow, then do that. Take a walk around the block or over the next hill. Find the right person to talk to. Don't do planes if you're not feeling it right now.

I had a period of many years where I was unsettled with my life and where I was headed. Subconsciously I refused to allow myself time for constructive projects like this. That's ok, that was then, but I'm glad I got over it or settled my head or whatever. RC planes are fun.
You kind of hit the nail or the head in a way, that is where I have been for a good while now. But I'm coming out of it, dare say I feel like I am out of it and I'm ready to start pushing forward and getting back into doing the things I actually want to. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the ball rolling y'know?

Maybe "Trying to find motivation" wasn't the most accurate title, it's just a bit catchier. The motivation is there I'm just trying to figure out how to follow it.

You kind of hit the nail or the head in a way, that is where I have been for a good while now. But I'm coming out of it, dare say I feel like I am out of it and I'm ready to start pushing forward and getting back into doing the things I actually want to. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the ball rolling y'know?

Maybe "Trying to find motivation" wasn't the most accurate title, it's just a bit catchier. The motivation is there I'm just trying to figure out how to follow it.
Sounds terrific. Not like I'm wise or anything, I'm a dope, but how about instead of "starting to push forward" it might be more just letting it happen. Allow the flow. Letting whatever happen. Get creative - join a ceramics class JUST KIDDING. Or think about toy planes. Oops you're already doing that. :ROFLMAO:

Legendary member
Sounds terrific. Not like I'm wise or anything, I'm a dope, but how about instead of "starting to push forward" it might be more just letting it happen. Allow the flow. Letting whatever happen. Get creative - join a ceramics class JUST KIDDING. Or think about toy planes. Oops you're already doing that. :ROFLMAO:
I put a list together of some steps I'm going to take to make it easier, namely keeping all my gear ready to go in a kit so I can just grab it and leave without having to gather everything. Also going to try and fit some flying time in around times when I'm already out, especially when I'm going to be with freinds so there's a bit of a social aspect to it.