Trying to understand what are good motor/esc/battery combinations

Little_Raven

Hey all so I'm looking at getting a brushless motor and esc pack from amazon and here are the stats

DJI F450 F550 TAROT FY450 FY550 Quadcopter FPV PartA2212 motor:
KV: 1000
Max Efficiency: 80%
Max Efficiency Current: 4-10A (>75%)
Current Capacity: 12A/ 60s
No Load Current @ 10V: 0.5A
No. Of Cells: 2-3 Li-Poly
Motor Dimensions: Φ27.5* 30mm
Shaft Diameter: Φ3.17mm

30A brushless ESC:
Output: Continuous 30A, Burst 40A up to 10 Secs.
Input Voltage: 2-4 cells lithium battery or 5-12 cells NiCd/NIMh battery.
BEC: 2A / 5V (Linear mode).
Max Speed: 210,000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70,000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35,000rpm for 12 poles BLM. (BLM: BrushLess Motor)

1045 Propellers:
Diameter of Shaft: 6.0mm
Adjustable by hole adapter (3mm, 3.2mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 6.35mm, 7.95mm)
Thickness of center: 9.7mm
Weight: 15 gram/ pair
Recommended wheelbase: 550mm - 700mm

So as I understand these stats it would call for something like this.

Turnigy Brand Lithium Polymer (LiPo)
2 Cell (2S1P) 7.4 volts
1000MAH
20C constant discharge rate
(30C burst discharge rate)
with JST Plug

If anyone could let me know or point me to some appropriate resources to better understand these things. I would really appreciate it. Also would this be an appropriate setup for mini arrow, sparrow, or tiny trainer? I'm having a hard time understanding motor power and what is appropriate for the different planes.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
For something like that you are gonna want a bigger lipo.

I think those motors and props are gonna be way underpowered on 2S.

I would go to at least something like this in 30C and 1800 mAh. Much larger and the weight of the lipo will really break your copter in a crash but this lipo will only get you 4-6 minutes of flight time. A 2200 should get you 6-10 minutes depending on your weight and how you fly but will also weigh more and break more of your copter when you crash.

You will crash and you will break parts on your copter. Get used to it. This is part of the hobby. The less it weighs, the less damage it will cause/take in a crash.

I don't see the connector listed on your specs but I suspect a JST connector will be too small and will overheat. I think you will need at least an XT-30. This lipo comes with XT-60 connectors that won't melt and you cannot connect backwards. Find out about the battery connectors. Replacing connectors on a lipo is simple but if you are new, you should get help. It is easy to make mistakes and short out your lipo and cause a bench fire (really nasty one too) if you aren't careful and don't take proper precautions. Getting the connectors right the first time, means you don't have to deal with this delicate operation.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I run an 1806 2300kv motor with a 1000mAh 35C or 1300 mAh 35C lipo and 5030 triblades or 6045 twin blade props on my Tiny Trainer.

It's great power for a beginner.

SFC76

Take the golden rule of C rating. Amps (not milliampere per hour or mAh) times C rating. 2000 mAh (2A) will give you about 20A of continous discharge. Calculate the max amps of the motors, apply the 80% rule and add a bit for your other electronics like flight controller and such. Safe discharge rate on a 2000 mAh 20C rated battery would give you 15A to work with.

On a 500mm size quad, I would recommend 1000KV or less, 20~25A ESC (depending on amp draw from motors), 3S LiPo, and 1038 to 1047 props.

Out of experience; go with Emax XA2212 980KV, cheap and nice grams per Watt rating. Also try to find a good battery by calculating the power to weight ratio. Zippy Compact LiPo's have a good power to weight ratio, like the 4000 mAh 25C (80 Watt safe, 100 Watt burst) at just under 300 grams.

SFC