TT build steps doc

mjcp

I'm in the process of setting up a build club and have documented the steps to build the Tiny Trainer which will feed into a weekly lesson plan/goals per session plan. (Its kind of like a document version of the build video)

Here it is if anyone else would find it handy!

View attachment Tiny Trainer build steps.pdf

mjcp

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Flite Test is working on making assembly guides for some of their planes as well. In an email that was sent out on Nov 21, 2015, they introduced the Tiny Trainer Assembly Guide. You can view it online here:

Tiny Trainer Assembly Guide

There is also a link in the menu bar on that page to download a PDF version of the guide.

mjcp

Aiming for need 8 minimum to make it economical for the hall hire etc. The guide you linked to is quite "pretty" but isn't a lesson plan... the next step in my route is a week by week break down into sections/goals/milestones and how they fit into the 2 hour sessions...

Week 1

0-15 welcome/safety reminder etc
15-XX Xyz

and so on.

In combination with the TT build, there will also be a simulator running and I have in the back of my mind some sort of model tethered in front of a fan... to "learn" the effect of control surfaces etc.

mjcp

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wind tunnel. Neat!

Misread it the first time, though -- thought you were going for an RC control line variant with a celling fan. perhaps leave the fan off (so it becomes a free-spinning hub) and use a prop and elevator to control flight. Might be good to teach the airspeed/altitude tradeoffs made using throttle and elevator. Not really a bench-like station, but given the space it could work well.

thomasd538

Simulator to complement your guide

mjcp

I am a teacher but I am also cofounder of Fly To Learn - powered by X-Plane. I have ten lesson curriculum tied into science of flight and then flight design we could align with what you are doing. I can provide a virtual Tiny Trainer that students could fly and modify.

If you enter the GAMA (General Aviation Manufacturer Association)/BuildAPlane Design contest. You get five five copies of the software and you can win a chance to build a real airplane.

I am happy to contribute to your project since I plan to use TT extensively in the future. I have already bought several TT and I plan to buy more in the spring.

Tom