tuboprop?

p51mustang293

Hello I was wondering if I could make or get a turboprop engine for a park flyer rc plane. I am also a little confused on how they work so is it even possible? Thanks.

Alex

quorneng

Master member
A turbo prop uses the turbine of a jet engine geared down to drive a prop.
Jet turbines are hugely powerful for their weight so you tend to end up with the gear box weighing as much as the engine but they are still lighter than a piston engine of the same power.
There are already turbo props for models but even the smallest jet engine whether as a pure jet or as a turbo prop is way beyond a park flyer both in terms of weight and cost. ;)

OttoPilot

They have some EDF park flyer models out there already. UMX Habu comes to mind off the top of my head.

Keep in mind, most EDFs are a little on the sporty side...so flying field size is relative to your skill level.

Last edited:

p51mustang293

thank you OttoPilot, do you think you could use a edf for a turbo prop or is it still not powerful enough. I am considering the habu especially after I saw the episode on it.

OttoPilot

No problem.

An EDF and a turboprop are two fundamentally different systems.

A turboprop uses a turbine (jet) engine to spin an external propeller instead of a gasoline/glow engine or electric motor.

An EDF uses an electric motor to turn an internal ducted fan, EDFs are used to simulate jet engines in RC models. They don't have much of a use in full scale aircraft.

Instead of using a turboprop in an RC airplane it would be much easier/cheaper to use an electric motor and prop.